Happy Independence Day!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey everybody!
I'd like to wish all the Yanks at The Gauge a happy 4th!!
If you're lucky enough to be off for the holiday, it would be a good day to work on the RR!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
What were the 1st, 2nd & 3rd? I know what the 5th amendment is! hehehehehehe The 4th was 'trial by peers (jury)' wasn't it?

Happy farth arv Jooo lie!
smile.gif

TOOT!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Woodie:
What were the 1st, 2nd & 3rd? I know what the 5th amendment is! hehehehehehe The 4th was 'trial by peers (jury)' wasn't it?

Happy farth arv Jooo lie!
smile.gif

TOOT!
</font>

Here are all 10 amendments of the Bill of Rights:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Seems like common sense today, but back then it was pretty...er...REVOLUTIONARY! But the current Constitution wasn't adopted until 1789, and it was ratified by the states on the stipulation that a "Bill of Rights" be amended to it. Fortunately the Constitution provided for such amendments.

My favorite, I guess, is the First, insofar as the protection of religious establishments is concerned. It can get a little tough, though, when people start screaming that allowing expressions of religion on "public property" is in violation of the Constitution.

And, of course, the Second is fun for debate, especially with people from other countries that don't allow their citizens to "keep and bear arms."

I ain't got enough room in my house for US, let alone any soldiers, so the Third probably doesn't apply to me!
smile.gif

The Fourth comes up a lot when businesses try to search their employees for illegal drugs or corporate espionage devices.

They made a pretty good movie on the Double Jeopardy clause in the Fifth Amendment (Double Jeopardy is the name of the movie).

As far as the Sixth is concerned, trials are speedy. It's getting to trial that can take a long time! And I wonder if any part of the Sixth applies to the unusual circumstances of Paula Poundstone's case...

Did they ever up the value in the Seventh? $20 is hardly worth it these days! Was anything under $20 considered "small claims" in those days?

The Eighth has gotten some Southern prisons in a heap of trouble!

The logical intricacies of the Ninth are enough to boggle the mind, especially in the deconstructionist, post-modern society of America.

Some might argue that the Tenth Amendment was the real cause of the Civil War. (The Southern States didn't like what the federal government told them to do!)

All in all, not bad for a Human government! (Anyone see O Brother, Where art Thou? "That is a HUMAN law.") hehehehe

-Rory

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
HAPPY 4th EVERYONE! Too bad it's in the middle of the week this year.

Sorry you all missed Dominion Day on Sunday, it was a blast! Just think, if there wasn't a revolution, you'd all be living in Canada and the beer would be much better!
tongue.gif

OK, to celebrate, I want everyone to get out their Bicentennial paint scheme diesels and put them on the point of something today!
smile.gif

Celebrate Together!

George.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
HAPPY 4th EVERYONE! Too bad it's in the middle of the week this year.

Sorry you all missed Dominion Day on Sunday, it was a blast! Just think, if there wasn't a revolution, you'd all be living in Canada and the beer would be much better!
tongue.gif

OK, to celebrate, I want everyone to get out their Bicentennial paint scheme diesels and put them on the point of something today!
smile.gif

Celebrate Together!

George.

Did you know?

The Congress is based on the accient Creeks(The Romans stoled alot of their ideas!) The Bill of Rights that Thomas Jefferson wrote is actually from the accient Greek government! However, the Greeks did have slaves. You went into slavery if you were an enemy or if you couldn't pay off your depted. Once you paid it off, you were free. The public had the right to vote. The women were second class citizens. There was a Senate. Sounds fimiluar?

Look at Washington DC. Doesn't it look like Greek 2500 years ago? They would be proad! So freedom of the people is not a new idea. Time to celebrate.

Happy 4th,
Andy

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey George, I'm with you on the beer thing.
Remember that Monty Python joke? -
"American beer is like making love in a canoe - it's f#@!ing close to water"
biggrin.gif

It's OK though, cause I can buy some Bass Ale right down the street!
Happy 4th everybody! Be safe!