Handlaying track

Vic

Rail

Wouldn't code 70 rail approximate 35# rail in O scale or might be close enough once its weathered? I may be all wet on this one:D

Pretty sure that the Edaville had non-standard ties...might take some research to find out what size...again you may just have to use what "looks right":

Just some thoughts.

C

Catt

Code 70 would be about 3 3/8" tall in 0 scale.That definately would be some light duty rail.Peco's 0n30 ties are 5' long x 9"wide x 4" tall.For 0n2 I would use those dimentions but go with 6" wide stock.The only thing is if your spikeing to ties that narrow you stand a real good chance of spliting the ties with the spike.:( The better deal I think would be to use 4"x 8" stock.

Vic

Hi Guys, Something I have done when hand laying rail on real thin ties is to use Walther's Goo to fasten the rail to the ties. I think that this would work with Pliobond too as it seems to be the same stuff.

Coat the bottom of the rails liberaly with the Goo. I like to start with the inside rail first. Position the rail on the ties and use some kind of weight to hold it in place and up right. Then slowly run a hot 150 watt soldering gun down the top of the rail. The Goo will liquify and then harden back up and bonds the rail tightly to the ties. Next move to the outside rail and repeat the process using several 3 point track gauges to hold the outside rail in place. Also keep your NMRA gauge handy to "spot check" the distance between the rails. Adjustments can be made with the hot soldering gun.

Edavillenut

i found out what the size of the edaville ties are they are two foot on center and 5"x5"X5' which in O scale comes out to be 1/8"X1/8"X1 1/4" what would be the best wood to use of this.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Edavillenut,
Basswood would probably be the best, if you are going to hand cut and lay ties. 1/8" X1/8" is commonly stocked in most hobby shops.
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Stains well, spikes easy. I would recommend; glue the ties to the roadbed (cork,homasote,etc) , sand the ties to level (minor differences in lumber dimensions), stain, spike track, ballast.
Pete

Gary Pfeil

The one thing I do differently than what Pete says above is I ballast prior to laying the rails. I find it much easier that way.

Gary

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
If you don't have a good hobbyshop locally, you might try Walthers. I don't shop the internet, so can't provide links to find rail

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Hobby shops;
Moose miniatures
Topsfield, Ma. ( 32 mi east)

Shepaug Railroad Co.
Leominster, Ma. (15 mi. S.W. )

Big G Trains
Ayer, Ma. ( 8 mi S.)

Henry's Hobby House
West Boylston, Ma. ( 20 mi. S.W.)

These are the only ones I could find within reasonable distance from you. You can Check the back of M.R. to see if they are listed,and get phone numbers, and street addresses.
Good Luck,
Pete