Handlaying track with Herei-punktkontaktsystem

ulf999

Aug 14, 2007
Sweden
Not many handlay track for Marklin, so I thought I'd document how I have used the punktkontaktsystem from Herei for my handlaid tracks.

The Stuff needed:
Erbert Herei Mittelleiter, punktkontakt
HO scale wood ties (Kappler)
Spikes (Micro Engineering)
Cork and
Rail (I use Code 83 from Micro Engineering)
needed_parts.jpg

After the cork is glued down, I positon the Mittelleiter on the cork
positioning.jpg

and trace the countours:
contours.jpg

Next I carve away some 1.5-2 mm cork to make room for the Herei punkkontakt (This is not necessary when using regular flex rail. But when handlaying, it helps ALOT if the surface is level...)
carving_cork.jpg

Fine adustments with my favourite tool :cool:
dremel_cork.jpg

The punktkontakt has some metal that is supposed to be used to 'wrap' the ties of the intended Peco code 100 ( + other code 100 rails...).
original_herei.jpg

I remove those...
adjusted_herei.jpg

Solder a feeder cable:
solder_feeder_cable.jpg

Drill a hole for the wire
drilled_hole.jpg

Attaching the Herei punkkontakt band to the cork:
I have tried two methods: glue with latex and spiking:

latex.jpg

latex_closeup.jpg

And smoothing the latex
smoothed_latex.jpg

Let it set, under some weights...
latex_pressed.jpg

Spiking is a bit faster... :cool:
spiking_herei.jpg

Now it's time to add the ties:
Most (?) who handlay track, pre-stain their ties, but I'm opting for post-staining/painting

The ties are glued down using regular white glue (for wood...)
To make is little bit easier, I use a jig where I put the ties, and then using a strip of tape, I move many ties at a time:
tie_jig.jpg

ties_glued.jpg

Once the ties are in place, I stain/paint the ties, add ballast and finally the rails:
handlaid_ME_drilling.jpg

I know I'm probably the only sucker :eek:ops: handlaying track for marklin, but I thought I'd share the steps I use anyways :mrgreen:

geburianan

Nov 22, 2009
Switzerland
Punktkontaktsystem

Dear Ulf

Your pictures are looking great and the hints you are giving are excellent. I'm about to evaluate, if I shall use the Punktkontaktsystem as well and your pictures are showing me, it can be done. One question came up: On one of your pictures I saw a turnout. Do you have some pictures or hints for building a turnout with the Punktkontaktsystem as well?

Thanks a lot for your replay and best Regards, André

geburianan

Nov 22, 2009
Switzerland
Punktkontaktsystem

Hi Ulf
Thanks for your link to your website, which is great. Just one more question: According to your description, the slider gets in contact with the tongues and I guess, the tongues are insulated or potential free, aren't they?
Bets Regards, André