Halo 405th

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by halopedia, Jan 17, 2010.

1. halopedia

halopedia New Member

I have made a Halo Mark V helmet. And I need some help on making it harder.
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

Are looking at making it more difficult or are you making the structure harder.

If you are wanting to make the helmet for a costume, then goto www.youtube.com or www.threadbanger.com and look for the tutorials on such.

Either way, good luck mate.
  3. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

could always get a cap, cut off the visor and glue to top. then paper mache over the entire thing for extra strength.
  4. MTK

MTK Active Member

Non-toxic, binary resin is always good, Fiberglass "If and only If" you have experience, a respirator and know what you're doing. Laquer hairspray will seal the cardstock and you always try thin layers of putty and, or enamel primer. There are so many ways to skin a cat, a helmet, or even a Starship!:thumb:
  5. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

Warning!

under all sercumstances do not listen to me about paper mache! it needs a fair amount to be the right strength and then over night it crushes it!tried it with one of my creations!only use my tactic on thick card or paper!:eek::eek::eek:
  6. MTK

MTK Active Member

Wow. Glad we got that out of the way. Thanks for the update.:thumb:
  7. Kjev

Kjev Member

What if you printed the parts on paper, glued them to sheet styrene (like "No Trespassing" signs), and assembled them? Plastic Model glue and superglue work for adhesives, and you can get away with cutting off the tabs.

You can also glue good old brown cardboard inside too. See this thread:
    http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/13245-starcraft-siege-tank-build-along-sort.html
    for what I did with the siege tank I'm building.

You can also reinforce the joints with strips of styrene. Spray-Foam Insulation (Brand name "Great Stuff") MIGHT be good to fill in areas like tubes to reinforce them, but this stuff is a pain in the butt to work with.

FINALLY, a paint job will add a lot of strength, surprisingly.
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

Actually, those are all good ways. I'm going to beta build the Cylon helmet with cardstock, then I'm going to have .020 styrene laser cut to match the templates and use model glue and PETG to assemble it and see how that works.
  9. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

errr...

i have absolutley no idea what you two just said. i have also started making a paper mk 6 helmet and am about 1/6 of the way through and im actually trying to do the same thing as our friend that started this thread. so if any body's got any SIMPLE ways of doing this with materials from around the house or things i can buy at my local hardware store for cheap prices, let me know coz im pretty limmeted in materials.
    thanks!
    zwave out:cool:
  10. MTK

MTK Active Member

I think I covered that in an earlier post.... You can use laquer hairspray to stiffen the cardstock up, you can use layers of enamel primer, available at any hardware, or automotive parts house, or supplier, or even at WalMart. You can use thin layers of your favorite non-toxic putty, sanding in between coats.... You can use expanding foam that you can get at HomeDepot, or WalMart, the name brand is "Great Stuff." You and even use thin layers of paper machette, as long as you don't over do it and get the stock to soft.... I've used several of these methods separately, and, or in concert with one another. The only way you'll know what works best is by trying it. If something doesn't work the first time, try, try, again.
  11. Kjev

Kjev Member

Printing the pieces on plain printer paper, then gluing it to cardstock with spray adhesive also strengthens things a lot. To keep the sheets from curling after they are glued together, I put a piece of wax paper over them and then set a heavy book on top of them for a night.
  12. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

eeerrrrr...(V2!)

still absolutley dumbstruck. i actualey dont live in america so dont have access to walmart. any materials there are pretty much unobtainable to me. but i can try putty and paper mache. where can i get some putty. or which brands do you suggest? that would be awsome!:confused::confused::confused::cool:
  13. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

You can try Provatol It comes out of holland it,s a fabric hardner It,s non toxic and works on paper to a rock hardness.Can be colored and made in to a paste.
  14. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg Heres the one I have been working on
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

16. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

Wow

holy smoking samon! that is sweet. how hard was it to make, cuz i have downloaded a mk6 (b) helmet aswell but, havent had the chance to make it. nice work!
    lator:cool:
    p.s. arent you the guy who made the paper sniper rifle?:confused:
  17. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

visor

hey guys!
    iwas just wondering...
    what could i use for a see through visor that isnt a bike helmet visor, coz those are expensive! i need one for a mk 6 mjlnir helmet im making for the 405th
    anybody wants to see the thread
    go to 405th and search
    mk 6 helmet and other armour bits. im the same name and avatar as this site. ill also start a thread here as well
    lator:cool:
  18. MTK

MTK Active Member

What about clear PETG from a 2 liter Coke bottle?
  19. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

Yes I am .I made a mistake in the name of the fabric hardner .Paverpol is the name .They say it works on anything but plastic and its water proof when cured.water clean up and safe for the enviroment.Sorry for the miss spell.
  20. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

awsome!

sweet! ill check it out and see if i can find any internet links! havent really tried coke bottle plastic for the visor, never thought of it. there is probably one problem with it. how would i bend it out wider with out pulling in half the helmet? any way ill try that tonight! any other cheap suggestion?:cool: