Halo (1) Pelican

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
Tars,
Kudos! I haven't built it yet. It's the next one on my list. (Need to get it printed), but it looks awesome.

Are there any instructions?

K'Jev
8)

CJTK1701

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
Hi! I'm the designer of the pelican and webmaster of planetstarfreak. Has anyone built the pelican? I'd like to see it done by someone else :D
Ah and concerning the Pillar of Autumn, I'm working on that one... just need to get the texturing done, hehe.

I have not built it as yet, I have some many projects in the works, sorry. I will get to it though and thanks for opening this up to the community.

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Hehe great! No instructions for the pelican yet, just the short form on the download page since I would have to build it again to take some pics... which I forgot when building the prototype ;) But the model isn't that hard for someone with a little experience, I think.
@Soaring: would you build the Autumn even without textures? Because that part of the work will definately take me a lot of time which I don't have at the moment...

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
Hi there ..

I'am haveing some problums with build .. all the major part are ready to go togther ..... it the inside the bug me the white brace's just were do the go ???

i'll post a pic that my show my question better !!! :)

Attachments

• DSCF0248.JPG
    DSCF0248.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0249.JPG
    DSCF0249.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0250.JPG
    DSCF0250.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 18

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
The bracings essentially go where they fit since there should only be one position suitable for each one... I hope I didn't forget to put flaps in the right positions, but I'm almost sure I did.
The pelican is basically composed of three parts that can be build one after the other and put together in the end: the cockpit, the lower fuselage and the upper fuselage, like shown in the second picture. I marked the positions for the braces in green, but if you don't get them to fit, don't bother... my prototype has none at all, the model will only be less rigid.

Attachments

• help1.jpg
    help1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 36
  • help2.jpg
    help2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 23
S

Soaring

Actually Tars, Yes, I would build the autumn without textures :/ I like it that much :D

-I was going to make your pelican, then I looked at my supplies which were devishily low, 99 pages of cardstock, 2 glue bottles, 6 cartdriges, not much. So I'll wait till April for the Pelican, but the Autumn....I'll make that any day :)

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Wait a second... I just got an idea. Maybe I can do the texturing after unfolding the model? I have the textures, they just have to be applied. Well I see how that'll work. However, unfolding of the Autumn isn't done yet either and I estimate that will take about an afternoon, so I will have it done... to the end of the month maybe...? :)

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
OK there's good news and bad news!
Good: I finally figured out how the UV-editor of metasequoia works so proper texturing is no longer an issue!
Bad: That means I will try and texture the Autumn before unfolding, so it'll take some more time for it to be ready for beta-build, sorry!

Spartan 117 LFC

Feb 20, 2008
Anyone got any help on building this, i can do the bulk of it, but it's the smaller pieces, i dont want to print them if i don't know where they go, so if you could just point out where all the pieces go, that would be very helpfull.

& i can't wait for The Pillar Of Autumn!

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Sorry, I am more and more realizing that the model was fairly easy to build for me because I had the 3D model to look at ;) Therefore, I have attached three pics to show the position of the small parts. On my prototype I skipped all of them except the wing parts since it is just a prototype and I always wanted to build another ;) I hope the pics help you positioning the aerials and I think they might also be quite helpful for the engine pods and wings. Once more, I am really sorry for being that slow noticing why the pelican is proving so difficult for others to build :)
Ah and concerning the Autumn, she is still lying in drydock for texturing, and I won't have time to continue working on it at least the next two to four weeks I'm afraid... exam stuff! *arg*

Attachments

• smallparts.jpg
    smallparts.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 40
  • smallparts2.jpg
    smallparts2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 36
  • bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 34

Indoramina

May 28, 2008
Hi Tars,
its realy great job . Could you tell me,if there is posibility to find , download 3D model of Pelican a specialy as .pdo file or mqo.? I think there is no problem with no manual . Problem is poor quality of .pdf file is to dark and folding lines are almost invisible , there are many smears on pages - its looks like compresion of image during "printing" to .pdf doesn't work good.Big pixel change the lines of model(low resolution of .pdf). To admire your great work is beter to unfold this byself in Pepakura with 1024x768 resolution.:wave:

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Hi Indoramina, thank you for your appreciation. It's funny that you ask for the 3D data right now, because I have received two emails on that the last days... nevertheless I have to tell you the same, I will not give any Pepakura or what-ever-3D-program data to anyone as I have made some bad experiences with that, I'm sorry and I hope you understand.
However, I have to defend the pdo ;) It is the highest resolution I was able to achieve back then, and since I reworked the sheets after unfolding the model (colouring the flaps especially) there is good reason to use the pdf. Also I don't think it is too dark, I actually find my pelican a bit bright... and the fold lines are supposed to be hard to see, so they are not too obvious when the model is finished.
To admire your great work is beter to unfold this byself in Pepakura with 1024x768 resolution.
I don't really understand what you mean by that, as that's exactly what I did when I made the model...

Nevertheless, you sure are right. The PDF has some flaws (the resolution could truly be better and I would definately put part numbers on the sheets next time...) and when I release the instructions they'll go along with a reworked version of the pelican. Unfortunately that's going to be at the end of the year at best, so you'll have to be patient...
Plus now that you mentioned it, I am thinking about the fold lines... none of my newer models has them as I find them rather ugly when the model is finished. It's just that the pelican can be rather complicated so fold lines are really helpful. What do others of you think?

marksolo

Aug 25, 2006
Hey Tars, thanks for a great model. My only complaint is that the cockpit windshield is misaligned slightly, but it is no big deal. Love this bird.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pelican 01.jpg
    pelican 01.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 21
  • pelican 02.jpg
    pelican 02.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 15
  • pelican 03.jpg
    pelican 03.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17
  • pelican 04.jpg