Halinsky P-51D

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ben Gal, Feb 23, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Awe just sneak in a little dark grey water color and it would cover and weather up fine. Good job on the wheels!
  2. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Yes John - I've found a good close up picture of a tire that I can work from.

Keith
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Good Lookin' wheel, fore sure!
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Use a pencil to layout the lines first........... really a bad thing to cut them all and get it off..............no that is not coming from personal experience, I don't care what somebody told you:cry: Oh......... and one of those triangle files can work wonders and save on the fingers.

Really it can make the model "pop" so to speak, but from what you have done so far, you could put yellow cartoon balloon tires on this baby and she would look sweet!

john
  5. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Wing assembly

These wings were beginning to intimidate me. The "silverized" paper is in some ways easy to work with and in other ways difficult. The dents and bumps are much easier to introduce than regular paper, but in many ways mimic the real plane - but if you get it wrong it looks awful.
    I have trouble with putting these major surfaces on. By the time I have glued one surface it gets dry before I do the second (I glue both pieces). So now I triple glue - I glue both sides, then hit the first a second time!?
    If you put too much glue on these wings it shows through like crazy, so you had better determine where you want it and plan accordingly.
    So with that in mind I don't do the whole wing at once - just one side and then the other.

Keith

Attached Files:

6. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Nice model

That's a really nice model kit- truly humbling. And your build looks awesome. I agree that the dents look good on a silvered model, they look like the stress puckers on a raeal monocouque airframe.
  7. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

John - thanks, that means a lot:
    You are right up there with the Halinski artists - I have a part-built Eunice. The weathering is the best I've seen, and I've got your P-47 which is high on my build list. I think that you have captured the siver look on that plane in the same way as Halinski has done on the Mustang.

Attached Files:

8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

looks like john colors are more realistic than the halinski :)

i like it :)
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow! both are excellent builds! Really like John's weathering, too. I keep seeing all these great plane builds, I may have to deleve back into the air world again! Great thread and great looking build! Thanks!

Chris
  10. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

The wings are on

I don't like doing this - if you glue every frame it shows. But if you don't the paper bulges a bit. I tried to go somewhere in between. It doesn't look too bad, but you see only the best views!
    Again - this paper is really not so easy to deal with as a regular Halinski (Bf-109), the reflections show everything - good and bad.

Keith

Attached Files:

11. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

This is the top

I rely alot on the advice in Greg Leszcznski's build "pdf " which is posted somewhere on this site (just search on his name). He did "Big Beautiful Doll" and there are a few differences between the models - but his stuff has been invaluable. I would love to do BBD - does anyone know if it is still available?

Keith

Attached Files:

12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is one beautiful aircraft. Great job so far!
  13. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Greg Leszcznski's build of the Halinski P-51D "Big Beautiful Doll" was my intro to card modelling a couple years ago. I started with a Halinski P-40, which was a big mistake! Nothing like diving into the deep end when you can't swim!

I have a new appreciation for the Halinski and "Halinski-like" models out there now that I have done some simpler models. I have been buying and setting aside several Halinski kits, among them my much prized "Big Beautiful Doll".

I enjoy watching the progress of your build here of the other P-51D. I may get one of them as well!

Good Luck!

Rick
  14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i love it
  15. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Slow progress, but on lots of fronts. Filets around the tail and the wing are tricky with the silverized paper. You have to burnish it when shaping and that makes it slightly different (more shiny).
    The paper is easy to work with though when working up 3D shaping.
  16. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Slow progress, but on lots of fronts. Filets around the tail and the wing are tricky with the silverized paper. You have to burnish it when shaping and that makes it slightly different (more shiny).
    The paper is easy to work with though when working up 3D shaping.
  17. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

I hate gluing these on, but the key to doing it right is to shape them exactly before attaching.
    A word of warning on the silver stuff - it works off in time. You can see that in the white streaks on the filet at the fat end. The more you work it, the more comes off. I will give it a great dose of glossy varnish when finished - that would seem to suit this airplane.
  18. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

I hate gluing these on, but the key to doing it right is to shape them exactly before attaching.
    A word of warning on the silver stuff - it works off in time. You can see that in the white streaks on the filet at the fat end. The more you work it, the more comes off. I will give it a great dose of glossy varnish when finished - that would seem to suit this airplane.
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very beautiful build!
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very beautiful build!