Halinsky P-51D

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ben Gal, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

I would say I am 50% through this. It might be the first card model I ever finish, and some time in the future I'll post a picture of my card airplane "graveyard"
    I would have to say that the reason I've persevered is because of this forum.
    I chose this as the true test because of the wonderful printing and the silver paper. It is going well, everything fits, and the “dents” seem to be befitting a real aircraft.
    This is my first serious attempt and I work slowly, so this should be even lower on the scale than a “short build”
    Thanks to everyone on this site that gave me the impetus and confidence to do it.

Keith

Attached Files:

2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have posted a few times in this forum on "dents" and "other imperfections" that, to me, add a certain amount of realism especially if you have seen these aircraft up close. Yours looks great, and real.
  3. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Wing framing

Beautiful fit

Attached Files:

4. Maharg

Maharg Member

Looking Good Ben Gal. :)
  5. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

'Stang looks great!

Your build looks great! I have the Halinski Mustang in Landers' "Big Beautiful Doll" Markings that I am sitting on for now. I mistakenly made a Halinski P-40 my first comercial build after doing a few free builds. I wasn't up to the task. I chalked it up to experience and set it aside for now.

I have Skyline Models A5M Claude on the board now, and might just finish it this weekend.

Cheers!
  6. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Back side

Fit is great

Attached Files:

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Congratulations. This is one nice looking model.
    I have to try my hand on a Halinski kit......
  8. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

This was posted to a different thread

The interior is finished apart from the breakables!

Attached Files:

9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Lookin great!

Rick
  10. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Glue

I use Aleenes - the silver and brown.

I found the Clear Gel recently - has anyone had experience with it?

Keith

Attached Files:

• Glue.jpg
      Glue.jpg
      File size:
      89.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Funny you mentioned that, Keith.
    I just bought a bottle of it. I grabbed a piece of card stock from the bad print pile that I save for laminations and did a butt splice to check performance.
    It works exactly the same as the brown bottled , only it's clear.
    That's all I've checked so far. Going to have to check it out on some other applications such as a canopy, unless someone else has already played around with it and can throw in their 2 cents.

Russell
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

First of all this is one excellant build! Very clean, precise work, good job. The other comment is on the clear Aleens, it was a bit rubbery, I think it would probably make good clear lens and covers for instruments, other than that it offered nothing over the standard tacky.
  13. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Glue

Its good to hear that others are trying this clear Aleenes glue.
    The mustang has this shiny silver paper that is tough to glue. I have tried the clear Aleenes and maybe, just maybe - it holds better. But I would not swear to that. Truthfully I can't see much difference.

Keith
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Is it any better for not leaving smudges or residue on card surface when you get a little, ahem, "wild" with the glue (as I usually do)?

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I didn't test it that far, the rubberyness of it turned me off, so I passed it onto the kids for their stuff.
  16. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

"Is it any better for not leaving smudges or residue on card surface when you get a little, ahem, "wild" with the glue (as I usually do)?"

Rick

I haven't figured that out yet as I am fairly new to this. I'm comfortable with the white glue, and it seems to rub off on this silver finished paper. Its worth mentioning that I have not coated these pages - I have not yet tried that on printed books. I have messed around with it on down-loaded material and it seems to work well. When this one is through I'm going to try another Halinsky and I will certainly coat the pages.

Keith
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is looking great! Keep up with the great pictures.
    Chris
  18. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Mustang progress

The Mustang has not been totally neglected while I do the Fokker. It sits right in front of me begging to get done.
    This is my first attempt at tires (wheels?) along with the rolled pieces for the landing gear. This was done in a Dremel as instructed by the experts on this site. Worked out well.

Keith

Attached Files:

19. Ben Gal

Ben Gal Member

Even though I am anal about colouring edges, I did not do it on the landing gear - and it shows!
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Silver marker............ no harm done! Wheel looks good. Are you going to try and do the cross-hatch tread pattern?

john