Halinski A6M2 Zero 3/2005

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bfam4t6, Dec 23, 2007.

1. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I decided to finally show some pictures of the Zero that I have been working on for several months now. I've been at college and haven't had a digital camera until now. Being at college also means that my progress has been fairly slow.

First, I'll point out that I've been using as many references as possible. I just re-found rlwitt's beautiful build thread last night. http://forum.zealot.com/t145162/
    I remember watching his first few posts when he first started the build, but then I forgot about it until I did a search and found it again last night. I will definitely be looking out for the problem areas that he mentioned, especially on the wing and the tail.

I've also been using the following pages as references for this build. The first one contains pictures of the actual plane, and the next links are builds of the model.
    Mitsubishi Reisen A6M2 Zero

http://www.mothership-fujifum.com/a6m2zero-sub18.html

kami-mokei.com

modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - [relacja] A6M2 Zero AH

A6M2 Zero îò Õàëèíñêîãî

The last link shows the model repainted to match that of a zero that would have flown in the Pearl Harbor attack. It turned out quite nicely, but I don't have the patients to repaint my model.

I'd say I'm at about the halfway point for the cockpit. I still need to add the walls which include all the radio equipment, and gunsight, and a few other details. I made the seatbelts from layered aluminum foil painted with acrylic paint. I punched buckle holes in the right lap belt, but they didn't show up in the picture. This is actually the first model that I have used acrylic paints to paint the edges instead of water colors. I already greatly prefer acrylic to water colors. Acrylics are thicker and fill in the gaps much nicer. I also think that it's faster to match acrylic shades than it is to match water colors.

I also tried to cover the gauges in super glue to give them a "glassy" effect, but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I might go back over them with clear finger nail polish. I hate having a flush instrument panel and normally I would outline each gauge with small painted wires, but the zero instrument panel has the gauges mounted from behind and they are pretty much flush with the panel.

I was tempted to cut out the holes in the seat back, but I decided I didn't want to risk destroying my model. Now I sorta wish that I had cut them out, because I think it would make the seat look much more realistic.

I'll try to borrow my sisters camera and try to get some crisper pictures later. Updates will likely be slow, but there should be at least some progress while I'm on Christmas break for the next month. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

Dustin,

Lookin' good! Very realistic. I'm glad I didn't know about paper models when I was in college - my grades would have suffered.

Ken
  3. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Hehe my grades are suffering...
  4. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Here's a small update. I did get some pictures with a slightly better camera this time. I'll reshow the seat and the seatbelt so that some of the details are crisper. I noticed a few areas where the foil in the seatbelts was glinting in the photos, so I'll have to go over those with some more paint. I've added the bungie cord and the rest of the seat adjustment mechanism to the bulkhead behind the seat. I've started working on the compressed air and hydraulic cylinders behind the seat.

Hopefully this cockpit will be done shortly so that I can finally start building the rest of the plane. I decided last night that I'm going to attempt to give the model more depth by depressing the panel lines and making the by making the rivets stick out. I basically plan to score the panel lines and poke the rivet marks from behind with an inkless ball-point pen. We'll see how it turns out I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. exzealot

exzealot Member

Dustin,

Very nice build! I was thinking about getting this model. My buddy bought it and the graphics are phenomenal. Please post any build problems you encounter. However, you may not have any issues since Halinski is usually pretty good.

Ken
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

College, Cars, Girls & Paper Modeling..., Decisions, Decisions...,

Hi Dustin,

Good to see you back at it once again..., The Zero is one of Halinski's best offerings and deserves a deliberate go slow construction technique. Gives you more time to enjoy the art form of the media...,

+Gil
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

stupendous detail work! Thanks for all the awesome closeups :)
    Chris
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Fabulous job! I'm looking forward to the rest of this one!

RIck
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Halinski kits always impresses... But your building skills are equally impressive! This gave me one more reason to try a "big" kit...
  10. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's another small update. I had to use the lesser of the two available cameras for this set of pictures. Hopefully next update the better camera will be available again and I'll be able to get another set of good closeups.

I've finished the tanks behind the pilots seat. From pictures that I've seen of the cockpit, the kit's tanks aren't very accurate. My building of them also got to be a bit sloppy. But oh well, these details will be almost entirely hidden when I close the cockpit.

I've started work on the left wall of the cockpit. I added a wire which I attempted to crimp and then painted black to replicated the chain in the picture below.
    [​IMG]

The photo is from Design Analysis of the Zeke 32 (Hamp - Mitsubishi A6M3). I THINK this wheel and chain device is the elevator trim adjuster. Regardless of what it really is, the real plane had it and so does mine. :)

Beyond that I've been working on a "box" that goes on the left wall. Again, I don't know what this box does. As far as I know, the radio equipment went on the right wall of the cockpit, so this box's function eludes me. But, I still have a few photos showing that it had on/off toggle switches, and below that it had three black bulb like turn knobs. I'm replicating the toggle switches from small pieces of copper wire which will be painted silver, and the bulb knobs will be built up from glue drops and painted black.

The other pictures just show other little do-dads that go in the cockpit like the fuel mixture adjuster on the tip of my finger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully another update will come soon!
  11. Coot59

Coot59 Member

Crazy Man. Just watching makes me shake my head. Just toooooo fantastic!
  12. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

It's amazing what a difference all those extra little "do-dads" make. You obviously have way more patience than me. Excellent work so far, Dustin.
  13. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Awesome! Those tanks and things behind the seat are completly hidden once it's done. I was crazy enough to build 'em too, but only because it was a build thread! :) I don't think I'd have done it otherwise.

This is a super clean build, just outstanding!

Rick
  14. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

First, thank you to whoever chose a picture of my model to use for picture of the week. It was very exciting and flattering to see my model on the homepage.

I'm ALMOST done with the cockpit. In fact I may finish it later tonight, so another update will be coming soon. My sister is taking a photography class at her high school and the school provides a very very nice digital camera with an adjustable lens and all of that. I was lucky enough to be able to use it for these pictures. It has a bit of a learning curve, but I think I was eventually able to get some good shots with it.

The pictures really say it all. The left wall of the cockpit is done. The right wall is almost done. I've started depressing all of the rivet marks and panel lines with a dead ball-point pen. So far the rivets are creating a very subtle effect which is exactly what I was going for. I didn't want my model to look like it had the chicken pox. In my opinion it's just enough detail without being distracting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I've finished the cockpit. Now it's time to start skinning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Great job!
    I would say that the most difficult and tedious part of the build is behind you. Wait, I forgot the engine....
  17. newcomer

newcomer Member

can't seem to find source for this model. is it out of print ?
  18. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Yeah the engine should be nice and boring.

No the kit's not out of print. Modellbau Shop moduni has it back ordered, and I'm sure many other places do to.
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WOW! That is one very detailed cockpit! I hope it remains fairly visible! What kind of engine buildup is it? rolled cylinders or stacked discs?
    Chris
  20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You can get it here Paper Model Store