Halinski 1:200 HMS Hood Build

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Andrew Austin said:
Hi Ski,

It is looking very good. How is the fit so far?- is one of Halinski's earlier models? I have found their newer ones to be superb in both design and fit.

Regards,

Andrew

It's the first edition version of the ship. There are small errors in the dimentions from here and there. Since it was hand drawn, you even get a difference from identical pieces. We'll see how it goes. I feel that I'm past the critical part of the build in regards to the fit. The hull could of been a lot worse.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Clashster said:
Ski - Sorry to hear of your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

I have enjoyed your build, good luck with the rest of it!

Chris

Thank you.

The hull was the tough part. I hate hulls! Now, I get to have the real fun of building the superstructure. It is the most rewarding IMHO....

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Continued working the upper deck supporting superstructure. The only fit issues were with the aft piece with "Hood" on it. It was way too long and the hull side extended too far aft. I had to trim both down quite a bit to get them to meet like they should. It's almost time to fit the upper deck. I just gotta get off my butt going on the edging first.....

-Ski

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Ski, my sincerest condolences to you and your family for your loss...you are in my thoughts and prayers.

You are doing a superb job on this build...it is excellent so far, but we've seen this high standard of build from you before so I can't say I'm surprised at all.:grin: I admire anyone that is able to build a hull and do such a great job with that big red bottom...I have not built a full hull yet, but I love to watch and learn how it is done from such superb modelers.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
Jim

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Hey folks,

It looks like the other pictures in this thread got nixed, oh well. I have been working on the Hood for the past couple days. Long hours at work have kept me from getting to the fun!

So far so good. I'm working the main deck right now. I will definately say that you must have some sort of reference work on the ship to complete this model!! I accidentally put mushroom vents where the searchlight posts are supposed to be, hehehehe.... I looked at my 1:400 Hood and Doh!! I know I would be lost without that and my Anatomy of a Ship. The superstructure is going to be interesting......

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
More work on the Hood. One thing that is really frustrating are the boxes. Since the kit is hand drawn, no two boxes look alike, so they look worse than on a 1:400 model :curse:.....

Here are a couple more pictures of my progress alongside my 1:400 Hood I did a couple years ago while deployed to the desert. Notice the aircraft safety wire for the guns :twisted:.

You can see the larger photos by clicking on them and hitting the zoom on the Webshots site. Anybody know how to post full size photos from there??

-Ski

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
A suggestion roll the mast tubes before too much longer like you said it's hand drawn and you have to check the fit all the time against the bridge structure. It's a bit dodgy where the tripod meets under the fighting top.

Looks great

regards

barry

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Thanks for the tip, but I'm going with strip styrene for the masts and guns. It looks much better than the rolled stuff, hehehehe.....

I double hole-punched the first level. As you mentioned, I don't trust the alignment.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
The superstructure is going together pretty well. The aft structure's roof is the worst fit by far!! Not even close. No problem, really. I used the stock from the masts to fabricate a new roof. :twisted:

-Ski

C

cgutzmer

Lots of great little details!
Good pics you have there. Thats quite the ship in the background too! Making a whole battle fleet right? When does work start on the support ships? :D
Chris

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Beautiful build, Ski. Adapting to parts that are not quite "right" can really demand a lot of effort and concentration. It is turning out nicely.

Carl

Thanks for the comments. I think that is why I am really enjoying card models. You don't have to take a dremel to them to get what you want. The medium is extremely forgiving if you give it a chance. A trim here, a cut there and you have made up for quite a few design errors.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
I pretty much finished the funnels, except for painting the grills black, and added another layer to the superstructure. I also edged everything. So, making good progress and the ship is starting to finish out. I do the turrets last. It keeps me from skipping the small stuff altogether......:twisted:

-Ski

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
I started card modeling about 3 years ago and many of my kits were designed with computer. I bought a few models hand written but I have never completed them.
Reading your thread I can imagine how you frustrated.
But, you did a great job. If I were you I would have abandoned.
I am looking forward to seeing more.