Halinski 1:200 HMS Hood Build

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Whew! I never thought I would get this far with the 1:200 Halinski HMS Hood. This is the first 1:200 scale build for me and man, it's ungainly, but it is pretty. Note that this is the 1st edition version, not the 1995 model.

Here's where it started out. I brused the hell out of my thumb cutting out the laminated ribs with a scissors. Yes, silly, but with my impatience, very affective. The ribs were a bit off here and there. I had to "crib" pieces that were too short and wobbled.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
....And I didn't like how the lower hull went together, however, in the end, I did it and the pieces fit ok. I really wanted to paint it when I got done. And I did. :twisted:

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
I went to the local craft shop and got regular spray paint: Colonial Red. It was perfect for what I wanted.....

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Now comes the tricky part. I was really worried that the lower hull wouldn't meet the upper hull, but for the most part, this didn't happen, thank god.

I cut out tabs so I had something to attach the upper hull to. The kit didn't have any, and I have no clue how you could build this up otherwise. They worked out pretty good.

I used a leather punch to punch out all of the portholes. I have to go back and cut those covered by the tabs as you can see here.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
And, here it is so far. Over-all, I'm pretty happy with it. The strakes were a royal pain on the lower hull, too! I need to do some edging on the waterline strip.

These things are ridiculously huge, hehehe. I love it though. I might just stick with 1:400 after this. :wink: I get a kick out of the fact that it dwarfs the 1:400 Hood. And I thought that was huge when I built it 2 years ago....

-Ski

Ski,
Man, that is some beautiful hull work there!
Your color selection looks great, from this end of the internet!
Nice clean work so far and your right, it looks huge in the pics too!
I can only imagine it looks even bigger in real life!

I'll keep an eye out for further posts for sure!8)

Russell

Beachead

Apr 13, 2007
N. Va, US
1:200 scale

I fitting out the JCS Invincible at 1:200 and I hope mine will look as good. It's only my fourth build but between this site and my own mistakes, I've learned real fast. Did you do multiple, very thin coats of spray paint? Thanks,

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Thanks everybody for the nice comments. This is my first 1:200, but I did a goodly number of 1:400 ships as most of you know. This alone helps quite a bit in "thinking card". Of course, checking out everybody else's excellent work gives that motivation to give it a try.

I applied thin coats of paint along the entire length of the hull and eventually it built up a nice satin shine. I had this model copied before I built it, and the paper I had it copied on was a bit more robust than what the kit had. The kit's hull was a lot thinner, and this would of resulted in considerable wrinkling from the paint. Instead, the stronger cardstock I used made that an impossibility, luckily.

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Beachead said:
I fitting out the JCS Invincible at 1:200 and I hope mine will look as good. It's only my fourth build but between this site and my own mistakes, I've learned real fast. Did you do multiple, very thin coats of spray paint? Thanks,

I'd love to see pictures of your build!

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
I finally finished edging hull. It's not perfect, but it will do. I started working the deck tackle. I think I'm lucky the hull went together decently like it did. Some of the pieces didn't match the outlines for them. For example, you can see the mismatch on the chock bases. Also, if you notice the gray pieces on the deck right behind the first break; those cover that much white that was showing after installing the break boxes! The turret bases were 1/8" too long for the turret ring, so I had to trim them all down. So, this ship will be constant adjustment. I am building this thing like I do my 1:400 ships; from the deck up. I go along the entire deck, doing those pieces first, then start the 1st level superstructure. I go back and edge the lot when I'm done with each level.

I can't recommend this kit, the 1st edition Halinski HMS Hood due to the lack of instructions alone. It's a ok kit otherwise if you dry fit all of your pieces first. The only thing that is going to save me on this one is the very lucky fact that I have a copy of "Anatomy of a Ship: HMS Hood" that I bought in the UK some 10 years ago. Pure coincidence. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't of figured out squat just on what I have done so far.

I am having a ton of fun with this regardless, hehehe...

-Ski

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood

I'm impressed it's a good build anyway. Halinski had a bad day with this one it's a cow to build never swore as much on any card model. Keep up the good work.

Just a tip measure the length of the piece which forms the bulwarks underneath the first level superstructure before cutting it out.

regards

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
barry said:
I'm impressed it's a good build anyway. Halinski had a bad day with this one it's a cow to build never swore as much on any card model. Keep up the good work.

Just a tip measure the length of the piece which forms the bulwarks underneath the first level superstructure before cutting it out.

regards

Thanks for the tip. I take it that it comes out short, huh?
:-?

-Ski

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood bulwarks

As I remember it was a little short and the aft structures it connects to need a good dry fitting.

regards

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
barry said:
As I remember it was a little short and the aft structures it connects to need a good dry fitting.

regards

Thanks for the hint. I can probably use the gray stock from the barrels to complete it. At least I know and that's half the battle.... ;)

-Ski

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Hey all,

I worked on the ship for first time in a while. My dad passed away a week ago Friday and I was able to be home for his passing. So, I was rather demotivated as you could imagine.

Anyways, I worked more of the deck fittings and am starting the superstructure. As Barry mentioned, there are some inaccuracies in the fit of the pieces, but no real show stoppers. The upper decking isn't glued yet as I have some more small stuff to install before that can be done. I used the portal punchings to cap off the mushroom vents I installed so far. They are the perfect diameter and I'll paint those when I do my first edging sweep of the ship. The vents are the wrap type, so they would look like garbage if not covered over.

So far so good. Without any instructions (the illustrations included are worse than any 1:400 kit I have, pretty sad), this ship will continue to be a challenge!

-Ski

mOONwOKA

Apr 27, 2005
Lithuania
moonwoka.netfirms.com
It is nice to watch your progress, you are doing nice job on this old model. Even in model form it IS "mighty" Hood ;)

As for the quality of Halinski's design... Few years ago i had started HMS Warspite and it was dreadful. I never finished it.