H0 Engine Shed

hpept

Oct 29, 2005
São José dos Campos - Brasil
I don't know if this is the right place to post this thread, but since it's railway related...
I've started the design and construction of a diesel engine shed in 1:87 scale. It can contain two locos, measuring 25cm lengthwise, 12cm widewise.
I've posted the work in progress on a railway related site as an entry for a contest which will end in january.
http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7339

You are all invited to join there and post your work too. The condition to apply are listed here:
http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7319
Let's show what a good bunch of paper modelers can do!

hpept

Oct 29, 2005
Thank you Gil and Russell.
@ Gil: about the door, I was actually thinking to give the opening without doors, as some of the pics I saw don't show any. Please note that I'm building the shed "brasilian style" it may be a little difference around the world.
About the trusses, I don't know yet if the central part will be removed or not. Do you think it should be? And how could I modify it to still support the roof weight?

I think they should stay.
They would stay in the real world. Like you say, gotta hold that roof up!

I just went and looked at your thread again. I must say, I can't get over how good this building looks! With the right diorama, one would believe it to be an actual building!

One more time, Great job, Roberto!

Russell

xyberz

Oct 31, 2006
That's very nice. It would be awesome to make one of those moving sheds that store 6 or so locomotives.

Man, trains are one of my favorite things in the world. It'd be great if it could make a full transition over to paper as the prices of scale trains can be very expensive. At least in paper all you really lose is the paper, glue, and some of your time.

hpept

Oct 29, 2005
xyberz said:
That's very nice. It would be awesome to make one of those moving sheds that store 6 or so locomotives.

Man, trains are one of my favorite things in the world. It'd be great if it could make a full transition over to paper as the prices of scale trains can be very expensive. At least in paper all you really lose is the paper, glue, and some of your time.

Are you referring to those sheds around the turntable? I guess should not be very difficult to adapt the project. Main modification would be on the roof shape, but nothing "impossible". I could think about it as an alternative version.

I too want to make the structures of my layout (I don't have one yet, still working on the planning phase) out of paper to cut price, as budget can quicly go out of contro with plastic, resin, wood or plaster structures. Like you said, with paper you only loose paper, glue, ink and some of your time.
For this reason I'm thinking about a good shed, a passenger station, some houses, a coaling tower all made of paper. Time consuming task but surely worths the satisfaction of 100% DIY.

silverw

Mar 15, 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
members.shaw.ca
HO Engine Shed

Hi hpept... Roberto...

I must confess...that I am only an armchair "Model Railroader" ... I have lots of rolling stock and track, ... but due to time and space restrictions... most of it is in boxes... under the bed... in the shed... and wherever else there is room for it!!:)

That is a fantastic building that you have there, and I sure hope you can make it into a kit! ... It would look great with a couple of my (paper GP 40's) engines in it!!...

..... later ... Bill

xyberz

Oct 31, 2006
Yep, that's the the one I'm talking about. I always thought those were really neat. It would be cool to implement a gearing system that can be turned by a paper crank. I know it's definitely not that hard to do.
Now if I would get off my lazy but and make it. LoL