H.G. Watkins USS Houston question

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Those are some darn fine models Darwin. Excellent work!

I see that you have PM'd me... Stay tuned, I'll be getting back to you soon.

Once again, that Helena is beautiful!

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
:eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops::eek:ops:Big senior moment. The Helena wasn't a Watkins kit....it was an enlargement/redraw of the JSC Helena model. Must have gotten it mixed up with the Mogami redraw I was doing at the same time. :mrgreen:The good news is, while looking for the non-existant Watkins Helena, I discovered scans of the Watkins HMS Sheffield and USS Wichita models I can add to the list.

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
USS Houston CA-30 build

These are the first pictures of my build of the USS Houston. I've been collecting info and pictures now as well as the HG Watkins model, so kindly traded by my friends here in this group. The Watkins model differs from the norm for the Houston in that its wider and on the main mast it appears incorrect as far as fire control directors. I'm using the USS Portland as a template to start with and will be building the superstructure and masts essentially from scratch.
i've decided to use some parts from Romans Uss Arizona and floatplanes from Halinskis San Francisco.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1259.jpg
    DSCN1259.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1261.jpg
    DSCN1261.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 14

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent start, Vernon!

I noticed someone noted the USS New York as one of the Watkins designs, but I don't think I have found it anywhere...I am almost constrained to taking on a very reluctant task at some point down the line of building one from scratch...too many other projects first to complete!

If anyone has come across the USS New York, or her sister ship USS Texas, please let me know. I would be interested in either the earlier version or the post 1929 "modernization" version.

I would love to see more of the Watkins models made available...if the copy right has expired, could someone make scans available for sale?

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Very nice start Vernon...

I've been redrawing mine on the computer. I'm adding deck details and boards. Just staying busy between Arizona sessions...

Jim, PM me, and I think we can arrange a swap if you're interested. I don't have the New York, but I have many others...

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Houston build so far

Hi Guys ....and Gals if any are Here
I've been spending alot of time doing research on the Houston and getting hung up on minor things. But I built the hull frame and covered it and feel pretty good about it. Then I skipped way ahead and painted the hull. Its supposed to be Cavite blue but I think it needs a little turquoise shade to it.
I also built one turret as a test. I may save it as the damaged turret #3. I've added a couple of pics of the hull and turret, as usual critisism is appreciated

Attachments

• DSCN1268.jpg
    DSCN1268.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1269.jpg
    DSCN1269.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 12

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great work Vernon. Looking good.

What did you use to color the hull? Looks like water color or marker...

I like it. That gives it a bit of a weathered look.

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Its Polly S acrylic paint. I mixed USN Intermediate blue,white and RN Azure blue together. I still think it needs to be greener. This is the paint source that i'm working from.
Vernon

Attachments

• USNchip2.jpg
    USNchip2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
new pics Yaah!

I've posted a few pics of the latest progress with the Houston. I've built the deckhouse and the bridge structures. A lot of problem solving with this because I used several sources and sized to what I thought was going to be 1/200 but I miscalculated and its 1/250. So the turrets that I had built are wrong and have to be replaced. The hanger was too tall and had to be cut down. Next week I have 2 days off so hopefully I'll get more done,

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1273.jpg
    DSCN1273.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1271.jpg
    DSCN1271.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1272.jpg
    DSCN1272.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 12

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Nice job on the deck rendering Vernon. I like the planked deck very much. Looks better than some of my attempts to digitally render wood decks.

Watkins would be proud of what you have done with his Houston! Keep up the great work and updates!

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Happy Thanksgiving to all here. My family and I hope that this season finds all here in good health.

Well, I've been working slowly but steadilt on theHouston and have posted a few pictures of my progress to this point.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1277.jpg
    DSCN1277.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1278.jpg
    DSCN1278.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1279.jpg
    DSCN1279.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Thanks Eib

I just draw in the planking and tint it with a base color and then pick out individual boards in a slightly darker color. I think these colors will fade slightly over time.

Vernon

papastumpy

Dec 20, 2008
Lowell, North Carolina
paperboy, I like what you are doing, and the deck board planking detail is one of those details that makes a project sing. Just like Mikey said "I likey". Keep the post coming. I hope to build the USS Tennessee in the future. I also like your outlay of parts options you listed from other kits, interesting....scratch build, neat. Guys like you give me ideas.

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Papastumpy

I like you and I need a wheelbarrow for my head. I haven't had a lot of time to work on the Houston but I'm working on the masts and Turrets this week. I'll post more pictures as I get things done.

Vernon

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Just a couple of pics to show work done on the bridge and foremast over the Holiday. i didn't get alot done ...too much football. But I enjoyed myself getting to sit and work on the model.

Vernon

Attachments

• DSCN1287.jpg
    DSCN1287.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1288.jpg
    DSCN1288.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 12

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
WOW! That looks really good Vernon. You've dressed this old gal up quite a bit.

I feel like I'm off the coast of Java right now!

I can't recall seeing a Watkins model look this good after this much assembly.

Keep up the great work Vernon!

paperboy

Feb 16, 2005
South Carolina
Thanks Eib
She's about to get her 8in battery built and i found 1.1 quads on the USS San Francisco for her. Tonight i'm back at work and this week hope to work on her main mast and aft structure.

Vern