Hütter Hü 136 - Stubo NOBI 1/48 Build thread ( warning: Inexpert builder)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Alcides, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Cgutzmer

Thank you Chris. I've seen your build thread and I think you are an "intermediate" At least your edge coloring technique is better than mine.

Thanks Larry

Thank you Carl.

Now about strips. I was doing that in the way Chris wroted.
    Now maybe I can try the way Carl described.

No problem but please wrote a tutorial with pictures. I'm trying to understand your description and I having a hard time. The language is my limit here.

Regards
    Alcides
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Cgutzmer

Thank you Chris. I've seen your build thread and I think you are an "intermediate" At least your edge coloring technique is better than mine.

Thanks Larry

Thank you Carl.

Now about strips. I was doing that in the way Chris wroted.
    Now maybe I can try the way Carl described.

No problem but please wrote a tutorial with pictures. I'm trying to understand your description and I having a hard time. The language is my limit here.

Regards
    Alcides
  3. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I've been reading the discussion about joiner strips with interest and trying to picture in my head the way both techniques work and why one would be better than the other. It occurred to me that there is a potential problem with the glue-first-then-roll method. Any time two sheets of paper are rolled together, the sheets will tend to fan as they are rolled, because the inner sheet forms a tube with a smaller radius -- to see what I'm talking about, try rolling several sheets of writing paper together into a tube. If the sheets are glued together first, then there will be lateral stresses exerted on the sheets as they try to slide past one another. Since the inner sheet must form a tighter circle, but cannot relieve the stress by sliding, most likely one or the other sheet will relieve the stress by tending to buckle.

BTW, before anyone gets their nose out of joint over this, let me say that this mostly conjecture and that I haven't conducted extensive testing of both methods. So don't flame me...please! :wink:

Regards,
  4. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I've been reading the discussion about joiner strips with interest and trying to picture in my head the way both techniques work and why one would be better than the other. It occurred to me that there is a potential problem with the glue-first-then-roll method. Any time two sheets of paper are rolled together, the sheets will tend to fan as they are rolled, because the inner sheet forms a tube with a smaller radius -- to see what I'm talking about, try rolling several sheets of writing paper together into a tube. If the sheets are glued together first, then there will be lateral stresses exerted on the sheets as they try to slide past one another. Since the inner sheet must form a tighter circle, but cannot relieve the stress by sliding, most likely one or the other sheet will relieve the stress by tending to buckle.

BTW, before anyone gets their nose out of joint over this, let me say that this mostly conjecture and that I haven't conducted extensive testing of both methods. So don't flame me...please! :wink:

Regards,
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Alcides, si necesitas ayuda con la traducción de Golden Bear, házmelo saber. Puedo mandarte su descripción en Español completo. Sólo dime.
    (I just told Alcides I can help him with English translation).

And Alcides, you should remove the "inexpert builder" out of your description. I can see you are a very good builder, my friend!

I have a Nobi sitting around for quite some time now, and I will use your tutorial for this baby. Gracias!!!
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Alcides, si necesitas ayuda con la traducción de Golden Bear, házmelo saber. Puedo mandarte su descripción en Español completo. Sólo dime.
    (I just told Alcides I can help him with English translation).

And Alcides, you should remove the "inexpert builder" out of your description. I can see you are a very good builder, my friend!

I have a Nobi sitting around for quite some time now, and I will use your tutorial for this baby. Gracias!!!
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Oh, there is a good article about this kind of joining in the magazine "Paper Modell Welt", page 12. The magazine is a free download for members of kartonbau.de here:
    http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/filebase.php?fileid=10

Again, maybe translation can be an issue here, but anyway, it's good to check it.

Alcides, how's your model going by now?
  8. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Oh, there is a good article about this kind of joining in the magazine "Paper Modell Welt", page 12. The magazine is a free download for members of kartonbau.de here:
    http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/filebase.php?fileid=10

Again, maybe translation can be an issue here, but anyway, it's good to check it.

Alcides, how's your model going by now?
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

What about when the joining strip incorporates the bottom seam joining srtip as well? do you just butt joint the bottom seam first then stick the strip over the joing?
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

What about when the joining strip incorporates the bottom seam joining srtip as well? do you just butt joint the bottom seam first then stick the strip over the joing?
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Do you mean when the join strip is one big piece and looks kinda like the letter L?

Thats kinda what convinced me that I should be putting them on before rolling the pieces... However I suppose you can just cut it into two pieces.

(Ignore this if I misunderstood your question) :D
    Chris
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Do you mean when the join strip is one big piece and looks kinda like the letter L?

Thats kinda what convinced me that I should be putting them on before rolling the pieces... However I suppose you can just cut it into two pieces.

(Ignore this if I misunderstood your question) :D
    Chris
  13. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Alcides, your model is looking great! Alot better job than the one I am currently working on. Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming!

I love this discussion on joint strips, I am building the DC-3 from Wilhelmshavener right now and the instructions actually say to attach the strips before you roll the part.
    Instructions aside, I think that I would have to agree with Carl about putting them in after the part is formed though. I mean how can anyone not do it Carl's way after seeing his many excelent builds? :-D
  14. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Alcides, your model is looking great! Alot better job than the one I am currently working on. Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming!

I love this discussion on joint strips, I am building the DC-3 from Wilhelmshavener right now and the instructions actually say to attach the strips before you roll the part.
    Instructions aside, I think that I would have to agree with Carl about putting them in after the part is formed though. I mean how can anyone not do it Carl's way after seeing his many excelent builds? :-D
  15. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yep thats exactly it I always thought they went on first because of the L shaped strips.
  16. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yep thats exactly it I always thought they went on first because of the L shaped strips.
  17. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Just have a look at some of Nobi's designs his use the L shape formers, you need to glue them on first or you have but joint the section together.
  18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Just have a look at some of Nobi's designs his use the L shape formers, you need to glue them on first or you have but joint the section together.
  19. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I've seen those on my Nobi Dauntless kit. I'll be cutting those into two pieces. Pragmatics require that the joiner that completes the circle be applied to form the circle. But geometry dictates that you shape the section before applying the section joiner for the reasons that others have indicated.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

I've seen those on my Nobi Dauntless kit. I'll be cutting those into two pieces. Pragmatics require that the joiner that completes the circle be applied to form the circle. But geometry dictates that you shape the section before applying the section joiner for the reasons that others have indicated.

Cheers --- Larry