Hütter Hü 136 - Stubo NOBI 1/48 Build thread ( warning: Inexpert builder)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Alcides, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Alcides

Alcides Member

Ok I don't want Larry Marshall get all the fun and credits. So I'm an inexpert builder starting a build thread. :wink:

This is a simple model but as Larry did I think to share our newbies doubts and mistakes is good.

Of course sugestions, improvements, coments and critics are welcome. Any help with my English is welcome too because I'm learning.

I like a lot the german planes of second world war and the unfinished luftwafe projects. So when I see Nobi's Stubo I've to buy it. By the way NOBI don't feel bad I bought the Kampfflieger stubo, too. Maybe some day I wrote a comparation between the kits.

I've choose to build the 1/48 scale version, here is the kit, just 2 pages:

[​IMG]
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

Ok I don't want Larry Marshall get all the fun and credits. So I'm an inexpert builder starting a build thread. :wink:

This is a simple model but as Larry did I think to share our newbies doubts and mistakes is good.

Of course sugestions, improvements, coments and critics are welcome. Any help with my English is welcome too because I'm learning.

I like a lot the german planes of second world war and the unfinished luftwafe projects. So when I see Nobi's Stubo I've to buy it. By the way NOBI don't feel bad I bought the Kampfflieger stubo, too. Maybe some day I wrote a comparation between the kits.

I've choose to build the 1/48 scale version, here is the kit, just 2 pages:

[​IMG]
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

Well, My most complex build until now was NOBI's Yak 17. When I builded it I've some trouble with the strips build method. I've started the stubo in the same way but again I've trouble.

I read a lot about the strip method and butt join method. Maybe someone can write a tutorial with pictures about that because I really strugle with the strips method. So I choose change this time to a butt join method.

This is why you see I printed 2 pages of formers and strips. NOBI: This is for you please keep the formers and strips in a separated page. if I have to do this with the ME 262 Schalwe I've to print the whole model twice.

Ok. Following with the build, here I building the segments:

[​IMG]

You have to duplicate the formers. Every segment get now 2 formers.
  4. Alcides

Alcides Member

Well, My most complex build until now was NOBI's Yak 17. When I builded it I've some trouble with the strips build method. I've started the stubo in the same way but again I've trouble.

I read a lot about the strip method and butt join method. Maybe someone can write a tutorial with pictures about that because I really strugle with the strips method. So I choose change this time to a butt join method.

This is why you see I printed 2 pages of formers and strips. NOBI: This is for you please keep the formers and strips in a separated page. if I have to do this with the ME 262 Schalwe I've to print the whole model twice.

Ok. Following with the build, here I building the segments:

[​IMG]

You have to duplicate the formers. Every segment get now 2 formers.
  5. Alcides

Alcides Member

Here are the segments ready to be glued in the first part of the model:

[​IMG]
  6. Alcides

Alcides Member

Here are the segments ready to be glued in the first part of the model:

[​IMG]
  7. Alcides

Alcides Member

and here are the segments glued:

[​IMG]

I'm happy until here how the model is going, but ...
  8. Alcides

Alcides Member

and here are the segments glued:

[​IMG]

I'm happy until here how the model is going, but ...
  9. Alcides

Alcides Member

if you see this picture:

[​IMG]

I've to improve my edge coloring and I've made a litle mistake in one segment :cry:.

I've to live with that :oops:. I building the next part and my butt join method is challenged but this is an story for tomorrow ( if I have time ).

Regards and thanks for look.
    Alcides
  10. Alcides

Alcides Member

if you see this picture:

[​IMG]

I've to improve my edge coloring and I've made a litle mistake in one segment :cry:.

I've to live with that :oops:. I building the next part and my butt join method is challenged but this is an story for tomorrow ( if I have time ).

Regards and thanks for look.
    Alcides
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking good so far! Its nice to see other beginners like myself doing this. :D What exactly is the problem you are having with the strips?

I also think the strips are printed throughout the model so its easier to tell which pieces are supposed to use them and which ones dont need them.
    Chris
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking good so far! Its nice to see other beginners like myself doing this. :D What exactly is the problem you are having with the strips?

I also think the strips are printed throughout the model so its easier to tell which pieces are supposed to use them and which ones dont need them.
    Chris
  13. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Yeah, Alcides....

Looks like great progress. Glad you're doing the build-along.

Cheers --- Larry
  14. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Yeah, Alcides....

Looks like great progress. Glad you're doing the build-along.

Cheers --- Larry
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

just to make sure.... you are putting the joining strips on BEFORE rolling the parts to the right shape. Right? I know it seems basic to many people but i did it wrong when I first did them.....
    Chris
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

just to make sure.... you are putting the joining strips on BEFORE rolling the parts to the right shape. Right? I know it seems basic to many people but i did it wrong when I first did them.....
    Chris
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

wellll ok then. I dont want to hijack the thread but he brought it up ;)

I attach the joining strips first so that when i shape the tube (in this case the fuselage as thats typically the pieces that have them) so that when I shape the piece it also shapes the join strip at the same time. It doesnt make sense to me to shape the piece then shape the join strip. But then again maybe i am using too heavy of paper for the join strips....

When you say bulkheads do yo mean formers? To me a bulkhead is a wall on a ship....
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

wellll ok then. I dont want to hijack the thread but he brought it up ;)

I attach the joining strips first so that when i shape the tube (in this case the fuselage as thats typically the pieces that have them) so that when I shape the piece it also shapes the join strip at the same time. It doesnt make sense to me to shape the piece then shape the join strip. But then again maybe i am using too heavy of paper for the join strips....

When you say bulkheads do yo mean formers? To me a bulkhead is a wall on a ship....
  19. rjm

rjm Member

Are we having a vote on when to glue strips? I'm with Carl.
    I think I learned this back in the 60's with Wilhelmshaven
    models. If the paper had no thickness either way would
    work the same, so I suppose it depends on the paper/card
    used.
    Bob
  20. rjm

rjm Member

Are we having a vote on when to glue strips? I'm with Carl.
    I think I learned this back in the 60's with Wilhelmshaven
    models. If the paper had no thickness either way would
    work the same, so I suppose it depends on the paper/card
    used.
    Bob