Gypsolite?

Lionelalltheway

Jun 7, 2006
Hi again,
I want to build 2 mountains(both with tunnels) on my layout. I plan on making the skeleton out of cardboard strips and using plasterwrap over that, but in a book a read about layouts they use gypsolite on top of the plasterwrap? Is that important? if not what should I do instead?
thanks

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure what gypsolite is. Hydracal has been used since the 1950s. Other products may be used now, but I don't think anyone can say that one method or product is the only way to go. If you are not building modules to be taken to shows or have any other reason for light weight, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as it is strong and not brittle.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I'm with Russ, I don't know what it is ether. I use paper towels dipped in plaster of paris to get my basic contours, then wallboard joint compound on the details. I've got two tunnels and that's how I did it. Sometimes you got to play with different ways of doing things before you find what works for you.

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I'll add my two cents worth. I use the corrugated cardboard strips (about 1" wide) to form the general shapes. Then 2" and 4" wide masking tape over that. Then a product that's become my favorite, "Scuptamold" which you can get at the hobby shop. This is a lot lighter than Hydrocal or plaster of paris and a lot easier to use. You can form anything with it while it's drying...rocks, etc. After it drys, it gets a coat of beige water base interior house paint. Then you're ready for anything. I've used this method entirely on my present layout, which you can see on my gallery (abutt). In 50 years and four layouts I've used every imaginable method. Screen on wood forms covered with wall-board paste, plaster impregnated gauze. You name it, I've done it. You'll have a hard time changing me from what I'm doing now. Especially handy if you're doing some major revisions which I'm presently engaged in.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
abutt said:
...You'll have a hard time changing me from what I'm doing now. Especially handy if you're doing some major revisions which I'm presently engaged in.
Yep, you make my point exactly. Once someone finds something that works for them, or one way that they like to it do better, you're not going to change them. I don't care what it is, scenery, painting , ballasting, trees, you name it, everyone has their favorite way, and they're all correct. :thumb:

That just struck me, that's why most people here don't tell someone what to do, they usually answer with saying how they do that particular thing. That's what makes the Gauge so unique.:D:D

Lionelalltheway

Jun 7, 2006
Is gold bond gypsolite less expensive than what they sell for model railroads? I tried to find it but can't get any prices or places to buy. Any ideas? thanks

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I read a how to article in MR a few years ago, where someone did use Gypso-Lite as a base for scenery.
I use the same method as Allan...EXCEPT.....Instead of masking tape, I use Plaster Cloth from Woodland Scenics to cover the cardboard. Then I add the Sculpta-Mold. Allan's right, Sculpta-Mold can be shaped, carved, sanded to what ever you need.
Here's a pic of a retaining wall I did, using a nail to carve out the individual stones, and a tooth brush to rough them up.

Attachments

• Retainingwall Medium Web view.jpg
    Retainingwall Medium Web view.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 82

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
If Gypsolite is Gold Bond then I believe the intention is to use it to create a very strong shell. Sounds like a good plan. Since others have mentioned their preferred technique I'll throw in my two cents. I construct a web of corrugated cardboard as mentioned above but cover it with paper towels dipped in a slightly diluted solution of Elmer's Glue. Its cheap and easy to use although you might get a bit sticky! :) The shell takes two or three coats of paper towels but it dries strong yet flexible so the surface doesn't crack or break. Installing trees is easy by puncturing the surace with a nail.

Here's a photo of a hill I made this way....

Attachments

• gluehill.jpg
    gluehill.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 90