Gus' Layout #2

steamhead

I see that the pictures attach to the end of the message, so I'll go on...

Next are pics of the bluffs "under construction ". Still need to add a lot of brushes & ground cover...

Followed by the "El Diablo" mine, high up in the mountains...

At the foot of "El Diablo" we have the yard at Portales. The turntable is used for turning engines depending on wheter they'll depart to the East or West.

That's all that'll fit for now.

My focus right now will be to finish the bluff area as new construction will take place in fornt of it, rendering it nearly unreachable once it is done.

I'll keep y'all posted as I progress...

Gus (LC&P).

Attachments

• BLUFNTH.JPG
    BLUFNTH.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 195
  • BLUFNTHWES.JPG
    BLUFNTHWES.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 191
  • BLUFNTHEAS.JPG
    BLUFNTHEAS.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 213
  • ELDIABLO.JPG
    ELDIABLO.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 209
  • PORTS.JPG
    PORTS.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 214

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Gus,

You obviously have a knack for Southwestern scenary! Looking good! Your last picture with the highline in the background reminds me of part of my layout that presented a bit of a scenic challenge with the tracks so close on different elevations. What's your plan there?

Ralph

steamhead

Hi,

Pretty much of the same, steep-jageddy bluffs with a couple of stone arches over the upper tracks. At the far corner probably a steeper mountain with a tunnel. We'll see how it goes.

As for the knack, it took 3 tries to get to what I got. I hope the rest'll go faster with the lessons learned.

Thanks for the comments.

Gus (LC&P).

doctorwayne

Your layout is coming along nicely, Gus. Good solid looking benchwork, too. I'm curious about your turntable: is that an Atlas turntable with a new bridge mounted on top, thereby making the original rotating part into the pit "floor"? I always thought that this would be a good way to make a low priced operating turntable, while still making it look like the tables we're that used to seeing. Even though the pit floor still rotates, it should be barely noticeable.

Wayne

steamhead

Hi,

Yes, that's an Atlas TT converted to a "pit" version. I read a "how-to" in MR, and thought it neat. It works nicely, although a little noisy, and its stopping at every track can be a little annoying. You can't really tell the "pit" is moving, as your focus is on the engine.

Building benchwork is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. I can stand on this benchwork & it won't budge!

Gus (LC&P).

viperman

steamhead said:
Hi,

Yes, that's an Atlas TT converted to a "pit" version. I read a "how-to" in MR, and thought it neat. It works nicely, although a little noisy, and its stopping at every track can be a little annoying. You can't really tell the "pit" is moving, as your focus is on the engine.

Building benchwork is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. I can stand on this benchwork & it won't budge!

Gus (LC&P).
Want to build mine, or at least teach me? My current layout (early stages yet) is on a couple sheets of plywood (how exciting is that?)

steamhead

Hey!

A couple sheets of plywood is more than I started with (long tiiiiime ago...-one of them was Homasote which, after a couple of years started to sag!!). This latest layout is built on a frame of 1X4 "modules" with risers for the track subroad bed. Subroad bed is 3/4" Ply and cork roadbed.
If I can be of any help, I'd be glad to help out.

Gus (LC&P).

viperman

I'm actually pretty happy with mine the way it is now. The next time around, I do plan to actually build benchwork and have grades, etc. My track plan is all level, but it works for me (would be nice to have the tracks go up, down, etc though