Gunstar

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I'd be willing to take a whack at it; the Gunstar was one of my favorite ships, and I've always wanted a big model of her. :)

email to wrobbins(at)cox(dot)net
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

No pics on the small one yet, but the large one has seen some nice development!
    Thanks to all the volunteers, looking forward to your inputs and pics!

As I said, Getter1 gave some valuable input already, so here's that progress...
    I added some support boxes to help keep the frame from squishing, and I decided to re-model the nose for easier assembly. Getter, I know you said that wasn't necessary, but I thought: What the heck. :D

Attached Files:

3. ThunderChild

Modeling

Once I start modeling, I can't stop!!! sign1

Getter mentioned a stand. I completely forgot! So I remedied that!

Interchangeable parts, one stand, two positions...

Attached Files:

4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Looks great mate! Nicely done!
  5. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Cool idea for the stand, with more than one way to display it.... very cool
  6. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

TC,

Love the stand ;) That nose config will be much easier to assemble :p

Skip,

Hey you ARE still btreathin!!! :p

G1
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Now that stand will be real cool! :thumb:

It'll be a while before I can print this. My printer ran out of Cyan and I don't want to just print this B&W.
  8. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Still alive dude! :)
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Skip,

Glad to see you round agian :D

G1
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, got the cyan printer cartridge and printed the Gunstar's cockpit. I'll get to work on it as soon as I get my USS Kelvin completed tomorrow. I can't wait; the only other option for a large Gunstar is the gawdawful Monsters-in-Motion resin kit. :-|
  11. Janx

Janx Member

Ahh yes that nose is an excellent solution, ignore part one of my email TC!

I not having the experience of Getter1 had trouble with putting the existing nose together.

The stand looks excellent a neat solution to the display options for this model.
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Bah!!!

I got no skillz, I just fake my way through it.

TC,

I just did the small ver. nose and it went together very easy. If you could get that breakdown to fit it may be ok to go with.

G1
  13. ThunderChild

Thanks again guys! :mrgreen:

Greets Skup! :wave:

@MF: Funnily enough, I used some of the MIM pics as reference in the design and textures!

@Janx: Unfortunately I replied to your email before reading this thread, so please ignore that part of MY email... sign1

@G1: I see modesty runs rampant in this forum! :p

Sorry about the lack of next parts-set release... why does real life have to be so... real...? wall1
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Actually it's pretty accurate, so you're in good hands there. It's just a royal PITA to assemble because it doesn't fit together (secondhand accounts, but they're all consistent).
  15. Janx

Janx Member

Sadly because it is :p
  16. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

That nose redesign is very cool, that will make it simpler to make...
  17. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Here is what I was able to do with the old design:

the raised parts are a bit tricky.... and I could not get the grey ones to look good when I put them onwall1 the sides, black "strips" only looked good after I stopped my "freehand" cutting and went to a using a ruler, but just could not do it, havent tried the front area yet... I MAY still be coming up with a few new words for the english language at this point!sign1

Attached Files:

18. Janx

Janx Member

Gunstar Beta Build

Heres some build pics so far,

Had some probs putting the parts A1, A2 abd B1 together so decided to try it another way. I Cut away the rear Ramp of part A1 and will add this with tabs later

During the rebuild I decided to add the detail parts before cutting the major parts out, I found this easier than applying them afterwards. I did this by cutting 3/4 of them out leaving one edge that was almost cut through. With the side bars I applied glue only to the part I wanted to stick down, aligned the black bar with the appropriate edge and pressed the glued part into place. After this dried I cut through the remaining edge gently. I used a similar technique for the grey bars on the nose.

The Gunner's canopy went together really easily for a big curved shape, and it looks good too! Only prob I found was the fold lines on the front of the canopy disappeared int he black so I peciled them back in lightly s I'd know where to score, so was an easy work round.

Just starting on the pilots canopy will post more later.

This is a big beastie and it looks great so far, Cheers TC!

Attached Files:

19. ThunderChild

You guys are doing great! Love those pics!
    Well, the most responses regarding size was to make it big...
    Soooo... I made it big! :twisted:

Regarding those detailed parts, Just to let everyone know, I'll edit them into the texture of the main part as well. that way the builder will have the option of not going through the trouble of making the detail raised. This will also help part placement when they do.
    Still figuring on how to make the wedge shape on A1 easier to assemble. Its only purpose is to increase solidity in the final model, so I'm thinking of getting rid of it... let me know what you guys think.

My video project's delivery date is on Monday, so this weekend it's work work work... After that I should have some breathing room to get the next set of parts finalized... Sorry 'bout the delay folks... wall1
  20. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

TC,

Here's what I got of the small one so far. I would've gotten farther tonight but I got to looking for something in my sea of models :p Took a while and you know how it is when your brain gets locked on :p

Anywho all went very well up to this point but I do have to say the Gunner's canopy needs the same tab layout as the large one. I had to re-do it as the curreent tab layout caused me to have a misalignment in the back :( My fault there but the large one's tabs make it easier to aviod that problem ;)

Hee hee got a shot of the large one for comparison. Remember I printed my large ver. a bit smaller than it could have been!

Great job so far on the other test builds to :D

Janx,

No cheating on applying those raised details :p do em on the built model :p What you scared?

Hope you enjoy the pics. It's 2:30AM here so I need to hit the sheets even though I want to build some more :p I need sleep before I goof it all up, trippin on no sleep here and getting silly to.

Naight all,
    G1

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.