Gundam RX-78-2

think-floyd

Jun 7, 2008
Any Pub, Ireland
If you're planning on releasing it without colour, or with basic colour, would you separate the parts by colour on the sheets? that way you can use coloured paper. I'm always pleasantly surprised when i find a model i don't have to "make do" with black and white with, since i don't have a colour printer at the moment hehe.. Most of the chinese/japanese modellers do this i think? Maybe they don't like texturing hehe!

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Speaking of colored paper/card. Where do you buy yours and what weights do they have? :confused: I'm still looking around for a good reliable source. I found some Strathmore sheets at Tall Mouse crafts near my house and hope to give it a try this weekend.

SteveK

S

Soaring

Yeah, I really wanna get a hold of colored cardstock. All that's here in Hollister is Wasau paper, which has an assortment, but not what I was looking for. I like the colored cardstock that the people on the Chinese and Korean forums. That cardstock seems glossy, or it gives off an awesome shine.

S

Soaring

Update: Just noticed some flaws in the design, I forgot to add an extra knife line in the flap joints. As well, the model looks a bit too big in its current state, so I'll have to resize it.

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Soaring,

If you have a craft store near you check out the scrapbooking section. There you will find the cardstock with the sheen/shimmer that you see on the other forums. I passed those up because they don't list the weight and I'm looking for non-glittery paper in the "proper" Gundam colors.

SteveK

S

Soaring

Stevek,

I've been to my craftstore's scrapbook section, and I can't find any glittery paper. And yes, my problem is also, that there is no colored paper that fits the standard Gundam colors. If there's blue then the blue is too bright, and same for all the other colors.

Update:

Epic...flap joints work way better than cylinder joints! They cause less "Flopping" motion, and can actually hold its position airborne. I'll post pictures tomorrow :)

S

Soaring

Finished the waist, and hips. Working on the chest at the moment. The model has a 360 degree range of rotation on the waist. I actually think the use of flaps really makes the model easier, more poseable, and the flaps don't even seem like joints.

I'm having some trouble with the chest at the moment. So I'll just leave this at that until tomorrow. So far, I personally think I'm doing an alright job, however, it probably could be far better, but... Hope you guys like it so far. :thumb:

Attachments

• RX-78.jpg
    RX-78.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11
  • RX-78 Chest.jpg
    RX-78 Chest.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 8

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Soaring,
That's looking pretty good to me :thumb: Don't sell yourself short, it takes a lot to be able to do what you guys do.

By the way, I found the Gundam modeling tutorial over on Finalpaper.net. I have translated with Google and copied it into a Word file. I now need to go through and translate from Googlese into English :mrgreen: and streamline the document. It seems like the pretty standard import your drawings and trace type of modeling but you can't argue with the results.

SteveK

S

Soaring

Yay! I got through the chest ;D Now I'm working on the legs, and should have and update tonight!

Janx

Oct 2, 2007
Good to see you decided to carry on with this Saoring, your model is looking really good. Your modelling in meta too I'm impressed! not something I have managed to master yet. Looking forward to seeing more, its looking great so far.

S

Soaring

Thanks Janx :mrgreen:

Well, I've gotten through to the legs, and was going to finish it yesterday when I found a little bugger that forced me to redo the legs completely :cry:

I switched to lined format yesterday, and I was focusing on the leg portion when I saw something that wouldn't work. Check the second to the last picture. The bottom cylinder is virtually useless because the shin piece would block any moevement :cry:

So, I'll put it another system later, I'll probably give the thigh shifting armor now that I have to go back :(

Attachments

• RX-78-2.jpg
    RX-78-2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 10
  • RX-78-2 1.jpg
    RX-78-2 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10
  • RX-78-2 2.jpg
    RX-78-2 2.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
  • RX-78-2 3.jpg
    RX-78-2 3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
S

Soaring

Yay, finished reworking the legs. :mrgreen: Sad to say I'm too pooped to do sliding thigh armor, I'll do that on my next gundam [Hint: it's a mass produced gundam from MS team :D]

First picture is just the money shot :thumb:
The second one shows the reworking of the piece that holds the shin and thigh pieces. I had to delete faces from the back to hook the leg pipes to another piece. The pipes are just cylinders with no top or bottom faces, connected by a slab of paper. The main problem before was that there was a joint - the lowest joint on the knee - that was useless. It was blocked by the shin. So I cut through the back of the shin, and some of the calves, and presto, articulation :mrgreen:

More updates tomorrow, I hope to get the hip joints done. Then onto them feet. I'll have a new video up explaining everything on youtube somewhere this week. [Gawd I really wanna print and test this, I'm doing my best to hold myself back.] :rolleyes:

Attachments

• RX-78.jpg
    RX-78.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 7
  • RX-78 1.jpg
    RX-78 1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8
S

Soaring

So, I'm testing the hip joint, then I'll continue moving downward. The design is pretty basic, I actually thought it wouldn't work. I finally figured, but still have my doubts, that a square's face, will never go past it's measurement in terms of width during rotation, only if the cylinder is focused on a center point.

Anyways, more testing to do, I have yet to add the second joint to connect the pelvic section, and a cylinder attaching to the thighs. I'll get a video up soon, after I complete the entire hip joint piece. Hopefully I'll find better words to explain the process.

Sorry for the bad pictures. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_3286.jpg
    100_3286.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3287.jpg
    100_3287.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3288.jpg
    100_3288.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3292.jpg
    100_3292.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8

Grindar

Mar 7, 2008
If you'll say that again in a more understandable way, I can probably work out the geometric proof for you.

Basically, if the center point's the axis, the square can never protrude (width of the square) distance from said centerpoint?

The proof for that's going to lay along the lines of the farthest point from the center being the corners, being (w/2)^(1/2) from the center point...as long as that has clearance, rotation shouldn't be a problem.