Gundam RX-78-2

S

Soaring

Hello everyone! [Merry Christmas Eve before the eve that is before Christmas Eve] I've been modeling the RX-78-2 KA in Meta for at least...2 days. I hope to get it done tomorrow, and incorporate some joints. I did my best to make this model as simple, yet effective, as I could. Modeling in Meta has never been so much easier for me, thanks to Finalpaper's guide to modeling ;) [Check it out Gundam modelers if you have time, definitely worth it]

I'm still not sure whether I should use some of the Finalpaper ideas of laminated skeletons, or the flap joint design. This won't be done before Christmas, but I hope to just get the model finished :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Rx-78 1.jpg
    Rx-78 1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Rx-78 2.jpg
    Rx-78 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Rx-78 3.jpg
    Rx-78 3.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 28
S

Soaring

Thanks everyone for the compliments!
And yes Rob, I have been doing that :p

So, I hope to finish the armor today, joints tomorrow, and special features on Christmas Eve. Hopefully, the model will be finished by Christmas :cry: Anyways, I hope to achieve [See in the images] that pose. However, it won't be static, I just mean that the articulation will be able to do that. :mrgreen: More pictures later!

Attachments

• RX-78 1.jpg
    RX-78 1.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 22
  • RX-78 2.jpg
    RX-78 2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 11
  • RX-78 3.jpg
    RX-78 3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • RX-78-4.jpg
    RX-78-4.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 15
  • RX-78-5.jpg
    RX-78-5.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 17

think-floyd

Jun 7, 2008
Any Pub, Ireland
nooo! don't give up! it's looking very nice so far!

If you were planning on doing a complicated jointed version etc, why not just change to a rigid skeleton? I'd love to see a model posed in a "space combat" pose like your last two pics, there's already too many in just plain old standing positions. If you do finish it, I'll be the first in the queue to build it! :D

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Hey Soaring,

I love those WIP videos you made.:thumb: Very cool, and you give a lot more info than you could in a forum post. I'd still like to see a few pics here every so often.

Do you think you will release for your GIANT Ex-S in the future? :twisted:

Looking forward to more...

SteveK

S

Soaring

Floyd- Alright, I'll keep going ;) I'll try to finish it this week.

Steve- Thanks! I may just stick to the videos, but I'll update
things sometimes. Posting takes a while, especially when I'm doing lengthy posts, most people will just glance at the pictures and move on. [I don't blame them, noone finds interest in long passages of text ;)]

And maybe, I might release it, I'm leaning towards no, since I'd like to have a one of a kind model.

S

Soaring

SteveK: Yeah, I might just make it available, but without any additional textures to the kit. Actually, I'll do that!

Before moving on with the static RX-78, I decided to remodel some bits and make a poseable RX-78. This model will use, less conventional methods of joints, I'm trying to stray from the traditional cylinder joint. Instead, the skirt armor pieces are articulated by flaps. I'll testbuild it, and see if it works!

Also, the backpiece looks like it has a trench. That's because I'm also going to test if the flap idea works for revealing under armor. That front backpiece will be the part, like that of the plastic kit, that lifts up to hold the bazooka.

The Pepakura images look gastly, the flaps are sticking through the top pieces of the skirt armor, however, when built they won't be like that. :thumb:

Pictures of the testbuild tomorrow!

Attachments

• RX-78- P1.jpg
    RX-78- P1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 14
  • RX-78- P2.jpg
    RX-78- P2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
  • RX-78- P3.jpg
    RX-78- P3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
S

Soaring

Well, it can be changed my pepakura, I won't lock it. However, I'm setting its final size to 30-40 cm, about the size of a perfect grade [1:60]

Mousemuffins1

Apr 14, 2007
oh, I think I'd make it double that. and a nice paintjob too. More subtle and less lego-like. pale grey and a bit weathered rather than white, for example. or is that frowned apon?

S

Soaring

No, no, that sounds fantastic! Gundams were meant to be customized. Sometimes, original colors just to bring out the zeal. If I had enough reference, I'd be doing the RX-78 Evolve :D

*With your skill, psh, better just print without color and paint :D Actually, if you built it without color, it still would look epic.

S

Soaring

Printing the pages out right now just to see if it works. I'll have pictures of the test soon, however, I must finish my essay first :(