Guard rails ?

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Does anybody have any segestions on how to make guard /guide rails ? I have some typical western PA roads that run along hillsides in my layout and guard rails are needed. I haveexperimented but have not come up with anything yet. Better yet does someone make and sell these things ?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Johnnie! :wave:

A lot would depend on what era you're modeling, as to what type of gaurd rails would've been used...On rural mountain roads, well into the 1960's & 70's, there was usually no more than a wooden rail, or many times, it would be a heavy steel cable, threaged through heavy wooden posts, sunk in the ground...I wouldn't think either of these would be hard to come up with yourself...If you didn;t want to scratchbuild, some type of commercially available wood rail fence would suffice...If you want the more modern, steel gaurd rails, I'm pretty sure they could be found commercially, or, I was thinking that you could use this stuff made by Evergreen, called "Novelty Siding"...it's a corrugated siding, that is a little large to use as N scale siding, but I bet you could cut the corrugations long-ways, & make strips to use as steel gaurd rails...just a brainstorm...I've never actually tried it...(yet ;) )
Good luck!
Let us know what you come up with! :wave:

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Drew1125 said:
Hi Johnnie! :wave:

A lot would depend on what era you're modeling, as to what type of gaurd rails would've been used...On rural mountain roads, well into the 1960's & 70's, there was usually no more than a wooden rail, or many times, it would be a heavy steel cable, threaged through heavy wooden posts, sunk in the ground...I wouldn't think either of these would be hard to come up with yourself...If you didn;t want to scratchbuild, some type of commercially available wood rail fence would suffice...If you want the more modern, steel gaurd rails, I'm pretty sure they could be found commercially, or, I was thinking that you could use this stuff made by Evergreen, called "Novelty Siding"...it's a corrugated siding, that is a little large to use as N scale siding, but I bet you could cut the corrugations long-ways, & make strips to use as steel gaurd rails...just a brainstorm...I've never actually tried it...(yet ;) )
Good luck!
Let us know what you come up with! :wave:

Yes I'm going for modern era guard rails . I'll have to look for that stuff you suggested Thanks !!