Grumman Wildcat

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by atamjeet, Apr 19, 2007.

1. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

hmmm, what to say about this one.. i made it myself, my own design, its F-4F Grumman Wildcat, this was my vey first paper model, its not a scale model, but i tried my best to make it look like the real plane, i made this plane indian with indian flags and colored it usin aluminium paint, this model was appreciated by Mr, DeWayne Barnett and through him i entered the world of scale paper modeling,
    this airplane is still hanging in my room and it feel gr8 to see it when i wake up every morning...
    i made it using a drafter, i was in my Engg First year, 3 years back.... now i have a collection of more than 15 scale paper models...
    i need your suggestions and comments....
    P.S. I can't reproduce it cuz i dint used computer, and all those calculations of mensuration are lost now....
  2. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

hmmm, what to say about this one.. i made it myself, my own design, its F-4F Grumman Wildcat, this was my vey first paper model, its not a scale model, but i tried my best to make it look like the real plane, i made this plane indian with indian flags and colored it usin aluminium paint, this model was appreciated by Mr, DeWayne Barnett and through him i entered the world of scale paper modeling,
    this airplane is still hanging in my room and it feel gr8 to see it when i wake up every morning...
    i made it using a drafter, i was in my Engg First year, 3 years back.... now i have a collection of more than 15 scale paper models...
    i need your suggestions and comments....
    P.S. I can't reproduce it cuz i dint used computer, and all those calculations of mensuration are lost now....
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool looking plane! I like it!
    If that was your first one, you are very talented and I look for some really great things from you in the future!
    I can see why you are so proud of it!

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool looking plane! I like it!
    If that was your first one, you are very talented and I look for some really great things from you in the future!
    I can see why you are so proud of it!

Russell
  5. Wily

Wily Member

Great looking plane - can you imagine that design made out of thin sheet metal?

Very cool - <S>!
  6. Wily

Wily Member

Great looking plane - can you imagine that design made out of thin sheet metal?

Very cool - <S>!
  7. Kaz

Kaz Member

Nice work there, congratulations.
  8. Kaz

Kaz Member

Nice work there, congratulations.
  9. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

thanks KAZ....
  10. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

thanks KAZ....
  11. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

yep wily, i have been looking for thin metal sheet in market which can be moulded easily, but so far im unable to,.. cuz the place where i live (amritsar), there are not many art and craft shops... can anybdy suggest me the exact name of those sheets? i will try to go to wall mart someday to buy them, please do tell me the market name of those sheets...
  12. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

yep wily, i have been looking for thin metal sheet in market which can be moulded easily, but so far im unable to,.. cuz the place where i live (amritsar), there are not many art and craft shops... can anybdy suggest me the exact name of those sheets? i will try to go to wall mart someday to buy them, please do tell me the market name of those sheets...
  13. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Coke cans!

There is a self-published book about making paper models using Coke cans. The shapes are traced onto unrolled cans and glued with CA. I once saw a Hellcat built this way, very cool.
    It's called 'Scale Models From Soda Cans' by Joe Barker (Can-Du Publications).
    You might be able to get it from PMI.

Caution- sharp edges!
  14. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Coke cans!

There is a self-published book about making paper models using Coke cans. The shapes are traced onto unrolled cans and glued with CA. I once saw a Hellcat built this way, very cool.
    It's called 'Scale Models From Soda Cans' by Joe Barker (Can-Du Publications).
    You might be able to get it from PMI.

Caution- sharp edges!
  15. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

thanks for dat help john
  16. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

thanks for dat help john
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

This is a recycle of an old thread but....

The problem with aluminium cans is that modern cans are designed to consume the minimum amount of metal. To do this aluminium alloys are used which work harden in the manufacturing process and the resulting sheet isn't easy to work.

( My impression is that aluminium cans in the US are a different alloy and the metal seems to be much softer and easier to work than other countries.)

If I remember correctly Gil came up with Aluminium tooling foil as a soft. easy to work alternative.

Regards,

Charlie
  18. charliec

charliec Active Member

This is a recycle of an old thread but....

The problem with aluminium cans is that modern cans are designed to consume the minimum amount of metal. To do this aluminium alloys are used which work harden in the manufacturing process and the resulting sheet isn't easy to work.

( My impression is that aluminium cans in the US are a different alloy and the metal seems to be much softer and easier to work than other countries.)

If I remember correctly Gil came up with Aluminium tooling foil as a soft. easy to work alternative.

Regards,

Charlie