Growing like weeds!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph, WOW!, that twine really turned out GREAT!:thumb: after seeing that, woodland scenics is going to loose me as a customer for their weeds.;) THANKS! Ralph:D -Deano

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Nice weeds! I like to use the little craft "corn" brooms. How do you get the twist out of the twine? Or is it just not noticable?

Andrew

Good idea! As for the twist in the twine...I did run across that problem a little. Manually untwisting a few times and cutting the twine as short as I could helped.
Ralph

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Looks great Ralph.
But where's Dr. Norstrom's office?

Gee..All of a sudden I feel like a Drake's coffee cake...You know the large size?
I've gotta a box of them..........

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!
I was just thinking about using twine for weeds!!! I'm thinking the twist could be taken out bi wetting the untwined strands and hanging them to dry with some weight at the end. Will have to mess with this over the weekend. How did you fix them to the layout?

Good work!!

Gus (LC&P).

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That might work Gus. Let us know. To plant weeds I cut about a half inch piece of twine, unravel it and seperate the piece into three clumps of strands. They seem to naturally part that way and are about as thick as I'd want. I poke a hole in my scenary base with a small awl, lay the weeds across the hole, and then use the tool to poke the weeds in the middle, pushing them into the hole. As the twine sinks into the hole the fibers pop up looking like plant life. If they seem too long I trim them with a small pair of scissors. I didn't put a drop of glue in the holes but one could if they wanted to. My homasote base seems to keep the weeds in securly w/o it.

Ralph

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

I did the wet twine trick & it straightened out perfectly. I haven't had a chance to "plant" them yet, but I'll get to work tomorrow, see how they turn out.

Gus (LC&P).