Ground Throws

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Hello to al, I am gettiing ready to purchase Ground Throws for the TN&Western and need some advice, do I just need to purchase the " Standard Ground Throw" Like Caboose Ind offers and if so is sprung better than rigid. I am a little lost, even though my mind tells me this is wwwwaaayyyyyy simple.

So I thought it better to ask BEFORE I purchase.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use the sprung ones, mainly 'cause I'm too lazy to make springs. Obviously, the unsprung ones are cheaper, but won't work as well to hold the points in place. If you have Peco switches, they already come equipped with a spring, so you don't even need a ground throw with them: just flip the points manually.

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Actually, the springs in the ground throws aren't so much for positive contact as they are to allow some cushion for turnouts with different throw distances. With the rigid ground throw, if you move the lever from one end of travel to the other, that's how far it will try to move the throw bar. With the sprung ones, it will only move the throw bar as far as it can go - the spring takes up the slack between when the throwbar stops moving and when the ground throw stops.

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for the replys, on what type of turnouts I will be using well, its a hodge podge, I have 2 Peco and The rest are Atlas or Shinohara.