ground foam question

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
found a old couch cushion in the alley. cut it into small little peices 1/2" x 1/2".
i first put a cup of water into the blender. Turn the blender on, then add some foam peices in the mix. Next step add some craft paint while the blender is mixing.
I blend for about 5 - 10 mins. on the high speed. Then my mix starts to smoke, getting a little to hot, i add more water, still smoke and alot of air bubbles. I bought the blender new, especially for this purpose. And after i drain my mix of foam into the strainer, it seems to be too large for n scale.

Am i missing a step here?

And for the size of foam i was thinking about going to LHS and buy a small bag of fine ground foam to compare the size. I have alot of green foam to reblend to reduce the size of what i have now. Or i can make a ton of trees with this ground foam, and start a new batch for smaller ground foam.

Thanks, Cliff

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cliff,

I haven't done it yet, but I did buy a cheap blender a while back for this purpose. Let's hope the smoke you see isn't coming from the blender motor. If it is, you have nowhere else to go but downhill since a smoking motor is not a good sign.

In any event, there are several threads here that discuss grinding your own ground foam, so your best bet is to do a search of the subject. Some threads include links to their how-to's, but it appears in theory that you're on the right track. From what I see, some people have mixed results, I guess it depends on the scale and could be, a lot on the blender you use.

I recall seeing a recent thread in the past few weeks on just that procedure, but I can't seem to find it right now. If I do I'll post a link to it here.

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
The smoke is coming from the mix itself. the water is warm when i empty the mix into the strainer.

Yes i seen the post with the tutorial for making ground foam. I thought i did everything he explained to do. I guess it's time to go back and read the tutorial.

Cliff