ground cover

Do you paint before putting down ground cover

• Yes, a nice ground color.=

Votes: 40 93.0%
  • No, just scenic cement over the ground cover.

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
When it comes to ground cover, I have seen and heard of people who will paint and put down ground foam, and just put down grond foam, thoughd Id make my first poll.

Also please leave comments about what you do, no long tutorials needed though.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I would use a earthtone color. Flat latex paint. If you look around at your local area, you will find that the dirt shows more than you realize. Only a well manicured lawn is an overall green. Railroad and industrial areas usually have a lot of different shades of dirt, gravel, weeds.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
All I can do now is parrot what you guys have said,paint before cover with a colour like the cover so the plaster or foam or whatever doesn't show through. Also pre painting will give you an idea of what it's going to look like,you may want to use a different shade.I try and do mine about four feet at a time,and having it painted keeps me from getting discouraged,I don't have to look at an acre of naked plaster.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Painting

I tried a couple greens including a gloss Shamrock green. "Green" for me was a bad idea as none of the greens were close to the flock, grass or bush materials I had.

Green Base example

Redone in flat slate brown

I also tried putting grass on a couple areas where the ground was painted gray near the ballast but it looked bad up close so I removed it and painted those areas flat slate brown.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

Well, I guess painting first will win. I have a can of moss green, but it doesnt look the best. I might try it, because I ran out of the tan I was using.​

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I will also mention, I planned on painting all along, but wanted to see what others sometimes do, but it looks like almost everybody has the same idea.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Here are two options after I ran out of tan, what looks better? Also, what would look better behind a tree line to give the impression that the trees go deeper into the woods?

Attachments

• DSCN1374.JPG
    DSCN1374.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 9

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
I like the left one. I don't know how dry your climate is, during late summer here my yard looks more like the one on the right.

For deeper appearing forests I would go with a darker ground color to simulate the shadowy nature of lots of tree cover.

Dave

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I paint a area let dry till it becomes "tacky" to the touch and then put down the ground foam and after it dries I spray the usual glue mixture over the ground foam.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You might be able to convince the paint store to add some red to that green, which will give you a kinda "dirt" colour. As long as you don't need to be too specific, they can be quite helpful.

Andrew

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Dave and Larry got it right...put down whatever ground cover you chose while the paint is still WET. Most of it will stick (might push it down a bit with your fingers). Then when dry, whisk away what didn't stick. I use mostly beige color. Brown under trees.
Allan

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Depends...I voted for "paint first", but lemme 'splain. If you use a 'ground goop' like a sculptamold/glue/vermiculite mix then probably you'd mix some sort of paint, powdered or otherwise, into the goop. Same with tinting plaster. It's coloring the base somehow so that if it chips or cracks it won't be a bare white spot.

But if I were just covering foam, well, definately paint first. And maybe even paint afterward...just depends on the look you want. Who says foam has to stay the color it was when in the package?

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
"Who says foam has to stay the color it was when in the package?"

Good point. :thumb: Not sure if you meen the foam base, I ended up with pink. :eek: I wanted blue for part of my lake streams and rivers which will be painted and have rocks and twigs anyway. :mrgreen:
I can't wait to get this done, but I can't rush it and hope it looks good. :mrgreen: