ground cover questions

Kevinkrey

On my layout a use pink fom board. I paint it and apply ground cover, I use a shaker but I always end up with way to much on the layout and when I try less, it looks like theres nothing there. Is there a good way to put down the right amount? I use woodland scenics turf products.

CNJ999

Just how far above the layout are you holding the "shaker" when applying the foam? If the holes in the shaker's top aren't excessively large (or the groundcover particles very small) to begin with, then varying the height you hold the shaker above the layout should control the density of application. Shaking the container side-to-side, rather than front-to-rear, also regulates how much comes out.

CNJ999

wickman

I think you'll get better results if you built it up in layers reather than all at once, there's reelly no such thing as too much ground cover although there is such a thing as too much of the same ground cover , try mixing it up a bit and don't be shy ground up some leaves and twigs, twine .:-D

doctorwayne

I only use the shaker when I'm making trees. For doing groundcover, I find that a paper cup affords much better control: just tilt it enough to get the foam near the lip, then tap with your finger. With a little experimentation, you'll find the proper speed at which to keep the cup moving in order to get the effect that you want. And, as wickman notes, build it up in layers. I usually use one colour at a time, then vary the amount of each depending on the terrain: there'd be darker and more vibrant colours in ditches and other low spots where water would collect. You can also mix several colours together in the cup, but this usually results in a too-uniform appearance. Also vary the textures that you use: medium is good for most areas, but a light dusting of fine can add the suggestion of weeds just beginning to grow, as along the edge of the ballast. Don't be afraid to experiment with the colours, either. Too many people treat this operation as "science", when it's actually "art". If you don't like your first effort, when it's dry, go over it again.:smile:

Wayne

Jim Krause

I agree with Wayne on the "art" aspect of doing scenery. I've adopted the philosophy of doing a small amount at a time, standing back and looking at it, sometimes going home and coming back to the club the next day and making changes. The suggestions above about adding layers of different colored ground cover work well. Just reminded myself that I need to go down to the club and check on something that I did day before yesterday.

wickman

I agree with Wayne on the "art" aspect of doing scenery. I've adopted the philosophy of doing a small amount at a time, standing back and looking at it, sometimes going home and coming back to the club the next day and making changes. The suggestions above about adding layers of different colored ground cover work well. Just reminded myself that I need to go down to the club and check on something that I did day before yesterday.
I totally agree with the philosphy of do a bit stepping back for a day or even moving on to work on another area and thats the nice part of building up the scenery , you can do it at any pace and always bring in new techniques:mrgreen:

Kevinkrey

I have many new ideas to try, thanks a lot!:wave: But when I move to another area and lay down my base layer of paint it is very visible were the two seperate areas worked on meet. How can I blend the two segments together?:confused:

wickman

What you can try is break up the area for one thing like by putting doen some poly fiber. You can put down some dirt then go over that with ground foam and anything else you can get your hands on ,if its a strickly scenic area attach some rock mold casting or even real rocks. Best bet maybe to take a look at my thread to see what I did maybe it'll give you some ideas. I generally only need the paint on the base where I'm going to be putting sand roads. I've grown real found of using ground goop alot of my layout is getting redone with a layer of ground goop and then building up the terrain .

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Kevin,

To blend two areas that come together but that are completed at different times, leave a partly finished area adjacent to the unfinished one. E.g. leave a bit of painted area, and then a bit with paint and one layer of ground foam/cover, and then another section more finished than the previous... It will make blending the areas together easier than if you finish everything (i.e. all layers) at a straight line.

Another approach is to choose a logical dividing line where the scenery changes abruptly - edge of the ballast, at a road, treeline, river, or what-have-you.

Andrew