Grip Issues

mav_uk

Hey People,

Okay, got my layout sorted (all track required that type of thing) and am now starting to sort out the landscape a bit.

Problem is trying to get the train up the hill to the upper level. I currently have a 1/2 meter section of track rising to about the height of 1 1/2 trains, I need about double this eventually for tunnels and things I have brought, and the little 6 wheeld diesel loco that came with the starter set just can't make it. It runs fine, but just sits with the wheels spinning about half way up unless I give it full power a little before the climb.

Is there anyway I can improve traction? If not anyone know what my options are?

Thanks in advance guys

Stu

billk

Stu - Could you clarify what grade you're using? I.E. How much it rises over what distance?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Stu,

From what you're saying, it looks like you have a grade of 10% or better, which if you look at some other posts here, is a lot more than you should be usingl. I'm doing my first layout with grades in the 2 to 3.5% and I've got my fingers crossed that I won't have problems. I have my grades broken up into several steps to get me up from my lowest to my highest point.

Don

Tyson Rayles

Mav I have a lot of 4% grades and run 4 axle units and don't have that problem. One loco can pull 6 cars and a caboose up it. If you have the room I would recommend keeping it at 2.5% or less. How do you know if it's 4 or 5.8 or 12%???? 1 meter in 100 meters is 1% so if you climb 2.8 meters in 50 meters you have a 5.6% grade. Hope this helps. :)

well u guys should do what i do use a hack saw and put like little grooves into the track were it raises steep its a great idea it works like a charm i have not found out a flaw yet

mav_uk

Thanks people,

I'll have a look (either this evening, or over the weekend and see what I have - off the top of my head I'd say I have maybe a 10% climb, guess I'll have to look at doubling the length of the climb and see if that works......

Stu

Tileguy

Wheres a shay when you need one :(
I can just picture a shay runnin up that grade like nobodies buisiness and looking good doing it :)
Wonder if that new MP Mogul will handle a steep grade?:D

mav_uk

Hey people,

well after some time not being able to do much due to time constraints I finally started building the frame that will support my raised track. As I don't have the room to reduce the grade that much I have managed to get it to about 5 or 6%, and the train *just* seems to cope with this at it's slowest speed. I'd say that as it's a part of the track that has no stops planned it shouldn't be too much of an issue to get it to up the slope at a reasonable pace. The drop on the other side should be similar.

My thought now is whether to put the village in side the track loops on the flat, and just have a split level, and a road running by the side of the train track, or whether to have the village set on a bit of a hill, and just have a cut out section for the main station. Decisions, decisions. Let you know when I've decided.

Thanks

Stu

davidstrains

A possible solution for your slippage is to find a set of traction tires to put on a set of your drivers. I am not sure what you are runnining but I have seen ads for tires in MR.

billk

Originally posted by davidstrains
A possible solution for your slippage is to find a set of traction tires to put on a set of your drivers. I am not sure what you are runnining but I have seen ads for tires in MR.
Or, if you have a friendly orthodontist-type, those rubberband thingies that are used for braces will work as traction tires.

SD90

I have a 2.2% grade on my layout, and one Kato SD40-2 will pull 20 cars up that.(all the cars have micro-trains trucks on them, that also helps alot!) Other kinds of trucks don't roll quite as good, wich doesn't make that much of a difference, until you start running long trains. I put 'helpers' in the middle of the train, just so all the pulling isn't comming from the front. It wouldn't be nice to watch a whole train land on the floor!