Grinding down metal frams

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
hello!

I'd liek to grind down parts of a junked Athearn C44-9W chassis/frame so that i can fit a modified Bachmann E60CP water tank over it. I have been looking for ways to repower that engine, and i feel if i can get that E60 watertank on the C44's fuel tank area, i can make it run like a more modern model.

all everything including wheel spacing is the same, so that ( and get the correct side frames) would be the only thing i'd need to do to get my E60 rolling like a model and not a toy.

thanks in advanced
chris.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The easiest way is to use a milling machine...

But if like most of us you don't have access too a fully-equipped machine shop, the next best thing would be to clamp the frame in a workbench vise and use a large flat file to file away areas of the tank. The cast zinc frame is (relatively) soft metal and should be relatively easy to file down, and I find that easier/cheaper to do than to burn up dozens of grinding stones or cutting discs in a Dremel.

Good luck!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
thanks!

i tried that, but i didn't get very far with it. i was hoping there was a faster way, but it looks like i'll be spending quite some time in the basement work shop. is there a particular file I should use, that would better suited to grinding this kind of metal?

thanks again.
chris.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
To remove a large amount of metal stock, I think the fastest file to use would be the biggest multi-cut flat bastard file you can find. (Sears has one up to 10 inches long I think).

The longer the file, the more material you can remove per stroke. Also, the multi-cut pattern on the file will let you remove material on both reciprocating stroke directions, as opposed to a single-cut file which will only remove material in one stroke direction.

Good luck!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm not sure what area of the frame that you're working on, but if its an unobstructed area, a hacksaw will make quick work of removing the bulk of the material, then you can finish off with the big file.

Wayne

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
zedob said:
If you go the file route, don't forget to have a file card (file brush) handy. Keep the file clean.
And on a related note, rubbing some ordinary blackboard chalk into the teeth of the file before putting it to work will help to keep the material from sticking and building up on the file.