Grinding away

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
On our way into town yesterday, we spotted this consist of rail grinders on the BNSF line running thrught Whitmann, Arizona. It was made up of several rail grinders, two oil tankers and some sort of crew car that looked like a caboose with storage on the roof.

Attachments

• rail grinder consist.jpg
    rail grinder consist.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 138

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, we saw them the day before further down the line and behind each wheel the grinders were spewing sparks. It was still light out, but spectacular none the less but it was on a busy section of the highway and I couldn't safely stop. It was sitting on a siding when my wife spotted it this time.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Ah yes, the Loram grinding crew. Caught them up on the NS Chicago Line two years ago now. It's a pretty cool operation, tho having seen it once I gotta say I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to see it again. Most of their work is done with small two-unit grinding machines now. (Kinda like how SRS went to trucks for most of their work.) Would like to catch that big unit working on CSX sometime, though.

F

Fred_M

I posted some pictures of prob them same units when they were here in Aurora, MO., but they were lost in the crash. Want me to post them? BTW, those were water tanks, seen them filling them from a city fire plug. FRED