Gremir's J-22

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Funny little exhaust pipe on the Stb front...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And finally prepareing to "revenge" myself on the wife's Autosux3000, forming up the canopy. I'll make the mold tonight and when she's out last minute shopping; wham, blam, thankyou maam, another vacuumed canopy!

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful come back Commander! I love her Butt too! Maybe the wife is just jealous!

Russell
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Maybe the vacuum treament was her revenge for your canopy forming activities?

Anyway, man you work fast!

Rick
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks, I had the recent experience of building it once. It always goes faster the 2nd time. I was calling it a night when I played with a few bits and built up the rudder before I knew it. I was really starting on the spinner and while waiting for it to dry the rudder kinda was finished...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's the spinner part, typical petal type that almost always gets too much glue and has to be sanded and then repainted. I'm almost thinking of makeing another mold and vacuforming the thing, HHHHHMMMMMMM!!!!!!.......

Attached Files:

7. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

cmdrted, your experience with your better half (every once in a great while you gotta wonder why they call them that) reminds of a similar experience I had. It was 30 years ago, and my wife decided to do some spring cleaning. She noticed that my half dozen plastic airplane models were a bit dusty, so she thought it would be a good idea to soak them in the kitchen sink! :mad: I left my planes uncoated after decal application, so I guess you can tell where this story is going. Somehow my wife survived, and we're still married, but I pray daily that my paper models don't get dusty - shudders at the thought. Anyway, I googled J-22 images and came up with some good views of a restored one. The exhaust pipe on the museum example is shaped differently and doesn't stick out from the fuselage quite as far as on the model, but other than that it's spot on. Some links: http://www.avrosys.nu/aircraft/Jakt/113J22.htm
    http://www.nsf.se/medlemmar/images/J22-1-kopia800.jpg
    Regards,
    Don
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Don, Amen to wives! I did a search last pm as well. Apparently there were 2 versions, ironically Mk1 and 2. One has the long exhaust, and 4 12.7mm mgs the other had a short stubby exhaust and 4 hvy clad mgs or cannon in the wings. The site was IPMS Swededn! so I guess they know. There are also some other small differances, not too noticable on the kit. I looked into the cockpit pics and wowsers! There are a ton more details. Interestingly also was the landing gear retracted into belly wheel wells which were closed on the ground, and it's this configuration that's modeled. I always thought the gear was fixed but found it wierd that the tail wheel retracted. Thank God for the internet< I guess! Well have to go to In-Breds, er In Laws today, hopefully after the gifts are placed tonight I can putz around with this somemore
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

After the Holiday supper, gift xchange, and revelry, we came home and I finally had a chance to "relax" (build). I finished the spinner. The blades that came with the kit were a little difficult to properly place into the spinner assembly, which I kept faithfully paper (this Time), so I borrowed some from the old version of a Curtis Hawk 75 from meta. I scanned the old blades and cleaned them up. They have the little rotor ends which I think are for pitch variation. Anyways, they looked better than the job I did on the originals...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I did a little updating and cleaning up. The rear canopy was first glassed with the cellophane from a candy cane box. This stuff is flimsy and makes good small clear parts but the size used for the rear canopy sagged after a day. I really didn't like it. so I carefully cut out the old frame, cut a piece of clear styrene that was thin but a lot stiffer than the other stuff. I fitted it under the lip made from where I cut it free....

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I had to print a whole sheet to get the part I needed but I think it was worth it. This is the piece that I need to frame in the canopy...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Installed...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And a frontal view, showing a more stiffer frame and cross section, that will help when the main parts of the canopy are installed.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Tail Wheel

It sounds as if this should be easy, but actually it took 2 tries to get it right. There are a few parts and the instructions show them all but not too clearly. Also it is a very strong part as designed but a little too much for me and the thumbs. So I proceeded as follow#1 The parts already started, the wheel itself with covers , the wire support as designed, a little straight piece an bigger curved piece and a piece that looks like a huge oval. You start with the bigger curved piece, curve it into a horhsoe shape, then take the oval, thinner section to the front, and startt glueing/wrapping it around. I stopped and let half of it set up hard before the section was completed, #2. I played around with the wire section as designed and with this type I never get the wire to the right angle without bulging the covering piece, so I simplified it by makeing one angle, #3. A hole was drilled in the edge of the wheel so it fits like a lollipop. The little piece is folded and placed to cover the inside of the bigger horseshoe shaped pieces. I poked a hole before glueing it as this is pretty fragile. The wheel and wire is inserted from below, the angle is set just at the exit of the top of the horshoe piece, #4. The shaft,previously built it glued over the wire from the top, and You're done, #5.

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This all fits into the well along its front edge. I left a little piece of the wire @1mm so it goes thrue the well internally to add a little strength.

Attached Files:

16. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

The tail wheel armature is definitely more simple your way, and just as strong or stronger than the designer's plan. Sure, it won't roll, but who cares? The new canopy glazing is also a big improvement. Super job - very instructional.
    Regards,
    Don
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Built up the stabilizers, nothing special or tedious, fit to the fuselage with a minimum of fuss, no fillets so they needed a close fit...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

"posed" with the landing legs in place. In search of some wings...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Speaking of which to borrow a term, "wing bones". Simple, a little spindley, but they should hold the shape of the wings fine.

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Slowly but surely the wings are shapeing up. You have to cut out an oval section to install a cooler intake. Not a difficult part but a little awkward installing. The fit of this kit is fantastic! Other than me messing with former to connector strip conversions this baby is right on. Good work Rafael!

Attached Files: