Gremir's J-22

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Beautiful job on the cowling cmdrted - very precise. I'll try to build mine sans connector strips also. It certainly makes a difference. You're a bit ahead of me on your build. So far I've gotten all the way to "pulling out the kit and looking it over once again". I was going to start a thread on it but the pics were kind of boring ;-> Looking forward to the next installment.
    Regards,
    Don
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Why Women should Not be allowed to clean our caves!

Don, now you have a chance to catch up! My "better?" half insisted on cleaning up the study for the holidays. With vacuum cleaning attachments in hand she accidently bulldozed the aircraft into some desk "debris" and then knocked the thing over. I guess the noise of the vacuum covered up the noise of paper in pain, she looked at the "broken" fuselage on the floor with the other scraps that I just leave until a project is over and decided to throw it out. You know cleaning for the holidays! Bah *&$^&^ Humbug! She squished down the trash in the can and voila, instant disaster! My lesson I guess, is to clean the room myself, I guess, who woulda thought, A man's cave, my workdesk, Oh the Humanity! Anyone got Dr. Phil's number?????

Attached Files:

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Oh my....................
    That would explain this sharp chest pain I felt few hours ago....
    Hope you will not give up and start the fuselage anew.....
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Also explains that shift in the force...
  5. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Owwwwwwwwwww! :(
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Dang Ted, that cowl looks great! I think Master Bear will approve!

Ugh, I just reviewed the tail end of the thread and saw the fuelage! It made me cringe in horror! At least with Downloads it's easy to reprint. Not so easy to make yourself do it all over again... :(

Will you be a be able to salvage any of the cockpit?

Look at the bright side - you can get rid of that glue smudge you didn't like.... :grin:

Rick
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

A Very Serious Transgression Requires Remediation...,

Make up a list of marriage counselors in the area, print out several copies and leave them in all the obvious places...,

-Gil
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

From the Ashes...

A Moment's silence for the J-22 Mk1. It broke new ground for me, trying a new designer's kit, modifying small bits, and of course the smudge! Now that that's over, here comes the Mk2! I decided thatsince I had a few parts salvaged in the cockpit that is a great place to start. I poked a few holes where I thought levers should be and stuck those extra pushrods into them and topped them off with glue globs, let them harden Upside down! This lets the stuff settle into a ball instead of dripping downward.

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The instrument panel was next. I took the old panel trimmed it down added a clear piece of cellophane, then poked some holes in the reprint. Here is the result. My first shot at a more 3d panel...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

How it all looks so far... In the bottom right corner is the old gunsight as provided in the kit. Upper right corner is a modified version with a more 3d head cushion. Now on to the skinning...

Attached Files:

11. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Wow! The name for the J-22 must have been "Phoenix"! From the crumpled remains rises a new and better bird! <<Mutters to self - must not let wife near cave!>>
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wives, cats.... it's a dangerous world out there for paper! Still, great build and can't wait to see the full recovery! Thanks for the great thread!

Chris
  13. josve

josve Active Member

I think I know the feeling......
    Just you know you have my deepest sympathy.
    But be good to the misses anyway :) (that will be after you have counted to around 1000 silently)
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Looks like you got right back on the horse there Ted. So do think your wife will feel she owes you one after this? Oh heck, who am I kidding. Us men are always the ones who owe them no matter what, right? :grin:
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Are you kidding! She says it's my fault because the room was untidy and needed a good vacuuming! Wait until she sees what I have instore for her precious autosuck3000! Anyways, the recovery process continues, I decided to keep the connecting strip idea. It didn't work out as smooth as I'd thought with the first build,(ratioalizing helps), so I tried a differant strategy. I built the cockpit skin right into the after sections. It transitions a heck ova lot smoother. You can later slip the cockpit into it and line it up with little problems. Here's a pic showing the slight deviation from the instructions... The views are top and bottom side by side. I managed to not smudge it this time. I also butt glued the rear segments, I'm becoming a fan of this "butt" I really wish it was called something else!

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The tail wheelwell was slipped in from the front and poked around until it line up. Cutting out the well was a little rough but the jagged edges will be covered by the gear doors.

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Installed cockpit. I had to leave the other former on the fwd section, I couldn't sand down the fwd former enough to allow a strip. This little lip will give the fwd section some support.

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The fwd section and seat installed...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Port and stb views...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

What you can see of the engine from the fwd cowling, all 19 cylinders, if you look hard enough and the lights right and the props are not in the way. sometimes you wonder why bother with all 18!

Attached Files: