Gremir's J-22

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Guys thanks, No the color isn't pink. The pic was taken indoors in my dark cave-like study under 2 differant types of lamps, and at night. Therew is probably a color correction thing on the camera or something, but it's ok for now. Chris, Rickactually showed me how to chuck up the wheels in a dremel, see his build on the GeeBee racer. The only thing I experimented with was instead of hand painting the things after the wheels were turned I kept the things on the dremel and dabbed some black acrylic paint on a rag and spun the thing until I couldn't see white! Next set of wheel I'll do a step by step and use a lighter black to simulate some wear. And yes I put those ^%#%# pushrods on the back also, something about being compulsive, which I think is another term for a Nutter!
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A little progress for today, the next step in the instructins was to build the cockpit framing. There was a little confusion as there are 2 fwd formers and 2 aft. I'm thinking the are for butt joining the fwd and aft fuselage sections, or spares incase you don't want to build the cockpit, we'll see...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I started on the internal parts, I followed the sequence in the text but you have to reference the drawings, some of the parts aren't mentioned but definetly have to be placed. Everything fitted with little to no fuss. The seat was a little wierd, I think the bucket was supposed to be a tight curve instead of a hard line but it was tough trying to fit it that way, so I scored some folds to make it a bit easier...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I also added the little grip thing on the control stick, then added the cokpit internal skins to the frame. I didn't want to chance trying to stick them to the outter skin and create a bump, or try to fit them thru the cockpit after the outter skin was placed. For the detail in the cockpit, it is a little "Spartan", but I wanted to see how this thing goes together as is. I'd like to build up some of the levers and wheels that are printed on, but I'd have to scan the parts in makeing sure there isn't any size distortions, correct or change them in paintshop, etc., etc,... There is also another small gripe about the Software, if you flub a part you have to print the whole sheet. I fouled up one of the hubs on the landing gear, and am waiting to see if I need another part from that sheet. I tried to screen snap shot it but I wasted more ink and time trying to do it that way then just printing the whole sheet. And it didn't work out anyway. Mike if you see this, maybe you can add a software setting to allow regional printing of say a few parts, or something.

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The cockpit with outer skin in place. I added the joining strips to try and buck the system and not have to butt join up the aft and front sections. Don't know how this will end but later tonight after work will see...

Attached Files:

6. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Looking awesome cmdrted, and coming together really quickly. I've decided NOT to build along with you as you've already left me far in the dust. A question on the photo in post #17: part W8 has a colored segment with text "Usunac po sklejeniu" which I think means remove after assembly, or something similar. Part W9 has the same shaped segment with the same text. The exploded direction diagram shows the W9 segment being removed with additional text reading "Ten fragment wregi usunac po uformowaniu segmentu". I had no idea how to proceed, and that was another reason why I never started this model. I can't wait to see how you handle this.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks great! Did you color the edges on that seat or is it printed on colored paper? Sure looks good! Like the flight stick too (sorry dont know the lingo)
    Chris
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I painted on the edges with water color. Rock, the wording means to remove after you glued up that segment. I have the very slight uneasy feeling that this part and the after fuselage segment is supposed to be butt glued/formed. This means that fuselage segments each have a forward and after bulkhead. When you assemble the fuselage you join each of these segments together as if it was a sliced loaf of bread and you're joining the slices back together. I used to love this method but it sometimes left bumps between fuselage segments. I convert these to strip joined but there are many pitfalls doing it that way. You have to allow for the thickness of the joining strips when grinding away the formers. My suggestion if this is your first, follow the instructions for now. You should form up the after cockpit segment then remove that piece after it is formed. I did this by sliceing it off and with 2 dabs of glue put it back on. It'll allow it to be gently slice thru to remove.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The after segment almost fit perfectly using connector strips. It was a little big so I removed and disassembled it, sliced out 1.5mm from the blue edges, Total not each side, and formed it up. Then I used some clear plastic wrap hanging around, and instead of waiting to install the headrest assembly after joining the sections I glued it into the after former then attached the segment. Kinda contrary to the text but it worked out ok.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

stb view

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

close up...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And of course the fly in the ointment, the bottom segment. There is a glue smudge that wouldn't erase and took some of the finish off. It looks like a "realistic" type of wear and is small enough that I'll live with it...

Attached Files:

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks like an excellent fit! great job so far and the connector strips worked out - whew!
    Chris
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ted............ fantastic as always. I always convert my builds to tabs instead of butt joints..........too shaky for butt joints, I never get them lined up.

And 1 glue spot.................1!!!......... you still got me beat.

Must wipe off glue from hands................must wipe glue from hands..............don't drink cold beverage while building.........they sweat................don't drink cold beverage while building..........they sweat.

Maybe I can get that put to music and play it in the background while I'm building:grin:

Thanks again for sharing you builds with us!

john
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Way of the Bear

Decideing to take the plunge, I tried to make up the engine cowling according to Master Bear. No connector strips and butt glued. I started with the rings and surprisingly if you take your time it isn't toooooo difficult! I wavered at first on the very edge piece and cheated and used A strip but the other rings are bare. I had to resume connectors for the cowling to fuselage piece, as I need the added strength for mounting the engine. As always something learned here is priceless and adds alot to your modeling skills.

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I continue on with the forward fuselage, the gear mounting bulkhead and engine mounting bulkhead were puzzzling at first. On the diagrams they appear to be completely flush with the fuse section and not the cowling. To make matters a little more "interesting" the fuse section has a nice V shape that has to be dovetailed into the cowling section. I think the way to do it is to add the connector strip, then sand the formers to a lite slip fit and let the engine mount sit out 1mm from the edge of the fuse segment. ( blue arrow). I dry fitted this @ 10x and this seemed to be the best way...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

PS to last entry, don't forget to cut out the exhaust section and landing gear holes before sealing her up.
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The final segment forward, fuselage segment joined to cowling with engine mounted.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another shot...

Attached Files:

20. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Whatever you did - it looks great! I have this model printed out and will wait until you are done "teaching" us how to build it. Great thread - thanks!