Gremir's J-22

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next project is a little fighter from Gremir models. If you haven't ordered one yet you're in for a treat. The models can be bought as a disc or downloaded, then a password is sent. This is one of the best systems for file security. At first it was confuseing, being a computer novice, but Mike talked me thru the activation step by step. He has the patience of Job. It was really simple, download the key ,save it to the file, god knows what he thought. Anyways, this was 2 computers ago, he stuck with me and helped me load it back into this system. And a bunch of others! I wanted to start on a relatively simpler one before tackling the more detailed kits. I saw the GeeBee build and wanted to try a differant plane by the same author. I don't know much about this little plane, seems a simple design, if build by the Swedes it was probably simple to maintain, can take off and land in a pasture, was rugged and tough. I have a Saab 9-3, and it's engineered the same! Heres a cover snap shot of the project...

Attached Files:

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looking forward to this build. I have a few models for Gremir and can't say enough about Mike's service! And, being of Swedish descent, gotta root for the home team! :grin:
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'm looking forward to your builder's report. Neat little airplane!
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well here goes... The instructions say to start at the landing gear. As I'm in a little daze from a most aggravating day at work, I thought I'd like to top off the evening with... tedious repetitive detail work! I started on the engine cylinders, all 18 of them and am just getting into a rythym. They have no tabs and I tried to butt glue them together, and managed to do 1 of them that way, and just caved and added little tabs at the cyclindrical parts. The amount of circle cutting was "cut" way down with the little whole cutter that I bought from lighthouse a year ago. The only pain in the butt came from the cylinder heads. They are shoe heel shaped and have no guiding lines to show where the curves go. I just rounded the whole thing then gently coaxed them into the bottom piece and waited until dry and then installed the top piece. The pic shows the flat cutout pieces, the part they represent, then a couple assembled units. I need a brewski and a small break, more later....

Attached Files:

5. josve

josve Active Member

Nice looking bird you are about to build!
    Tiny parts+tiny parts+tiny parts.....in the end an engine is born :)
    Looking forward to follow your build!!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey Ted, at least the tops of the heads are flat! Thank the stars for some small break there. They look good from here!

Rick
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

a red engine? interesting, never saw such a thing before!
    Chris
  8. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Cmdrted, I have this kit from when it was published in magazine form by Answer a few years back. I've never built an airplane before, and I was planning on losing my virginity to the J22 (blush), so I'll be following your build with great interest. On my kit the engine cylinder parts are printed on "flimsy" paper rather than cardstock, so I was confused from the start as to how to proceed - that's why it's been sitting in my desk for a couple of years. I even bought a Gomix canopy for it, so I'm committed. Maybe I'll try to build along with you.
    Regards,
    Don
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Cmdrted,

Thanks for the build report.

Small engine part tedium can become addictive for some idiotic reason that I'm not aware of but suffer from. I've found that if you want to butt edge join pieces it's best to make a form out of 1-2 mm card that encircles and contains the part (read clamps) allowing the two butt edges to remain aligned while being glued. I've become a big fan of these so called "fixtures" which in the end save not only time but also entire models...,

-Gil
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, Gil your tips are priceless, I might try using a circle template that I have around somewhere. Don, the downloaded kit has you use regular 20lb paper for the cylinders also. I used a heavier coated paper that is halfway betweeen card stock and regular typing paper. Every once and awhile I have to stop and build something else, that's not so repetitive. I have a small headrest done, with some other structures just to break up the monotony. In the instructions the designer has you start with the landing gear, which for me is one of those parts I don't like doing, but I see his point with the rest of the fuselage that has to be built around it. Once I get past the engine, I'll go back to the way it is supposed to go.
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's a great tip, Gil! It never occured to me - but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

12. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I think I'll laminate my cylinder "flimsys" to regular weight printer paper. The landing gear strips that wraparound the wire armature are also flimsy - those I'll use as is.
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

More progess for the evening, working on the engine, installed a few cylinders to see how things will fit,

Attached Files:

• eng.JPG
      eng.JPG
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And here she is all 18 cylinders, with those pushrod things. I really had to talk myself into all 18 and the rods , you really can't see the rear bank from the front, but they were there so I built them.

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

After that "diversion", I put myself back on track and followed the instructions. You have to build the landing gear first, shown here in parts and semi-complete...

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I built the wheels up and chucked them in a dremel, I'm getting a little better at this... You then have to wrap the mounting "tubes" around the top end of the gear legs, but do not glue them in yet!

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And Dry fitted legs on the fwd bulkhead.

Attached Files:

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Holy moly! Those wheels are awesome looking! They look like real rubber! Great job!
    Another night of great building, well worth staying up for!

Is it just my monitor or are the parts to that engine pink?
    Great job on the engine too, sir! I don't blame you, I would have kept building too.

Beautiful work as usual, sir! I admire your efforts!

Russell
  19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

First rate Ted! Please tell me they didn't ask you to put pushrods on those back cylinders? :grin:

Interesting design on mounting the legs. This will really be strong! My current build is going to have a very weak leg mount if I don't do someting to modify it, perhaps I'll take a little clue from this.

Very nice job on the wheels - even smoother than the last ones!

Rick
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Far and away some of the best plane wheels I have seen. Beautiful work. If you get bored I wouldnt mind a step by step on those.... Dont interupt your build though!
    Chris