Greetings from Texas

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Looking for all the information I can get on this wonderful hobby - from models available to eventually creating my own. Just started last year - what an inexpensive hobby! Interested in all sorts of models.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for ALL THINGS in paper modeling. We have two sections that are specifically for designing models that may interest you:
Pepakura Designs & Builds
Renders and Illustrations

Is there any particular genre that you are specifically interested in?
If you have any photos of anything that you have built recently, by all means please post them.

If you start on a new project any time soon, I would suggest posting a build thread.
Build threads are a GREAT way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as pointing out problem areas that you may need help with.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again welcome aboard and I hope that you enjoy yourself here.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome aboard! It is inexpensive, but can be time consuming. What I like is the subject matter that is not available anywhere else, and that you can design you own models, and it is not really to hard. :)

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks

Thanks - It is a time consuming hobby!

I have pics of paper models I have put together on Flickr. Can I specify the link here?

Oh yeah genres, Godzilla, Star Trek, Star Wars, Comics, Robots - ships - you name it. Really liked the Minions and the modified versions for the Avengers.

Been using Elmer's Glue-all, going to try their CraftBond papercraft glue gel next. I do tend to get glue everywhere...

inky

Jun 24, 2011
Coast of S. Texas
Your more than welcome to post a link to your pictures, we love seeing pictures here.

As for getting glue every were, what I do is put glue it a little portion cup and use a hobby paint brush to apply to the paper, it adds just the right amount and it keeps it from being so messy.

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
My modest projects

My papercraft projects are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davestar2084

They are mixed in with other projects, but all say papercraft that are paper. None are my creations (that's what I want to learn to do) - I did modify the cubee for my wife and added SAL because HAL seemed lonely (she came out bigger - but that adds to the "charm"). My thanks to all the creators out there - thank you! My apologies if I did not do a creators work justice - I am new to this, and old and have shaky hands and...well you get the idea...

Good idea on the glue. I had been putting a little glue on the point of triangle shaped scrap pieces of paper - cutting them long or short depending on how far in the flap was.

(Really appreciate the spell check on here!)

inky

Jun 24, 2011
Coast of S. Texas
"Squirrel"

HEHEHE, had to say it when I saw the picture.

You do some really great work there Dave, you should be proud.

Did you do the scroll saw work in the picture titled, "just ride"? I also do scroll saw work and that is a nice piece.

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks

Yes the Just Ride template was my first scroll saw attempt. I have made one that is a clock for a friend. However I find the papercraft far less messy and loud. No stain, no varnish, no saw dust... Sit in the AC instead of the garage...

Would love to find a papercraft of a realistic road bike.

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
DAVESTAR

Welcome to ZEALOT, man, and I loved you pics! But tell me this: how did you build such a realistic paper squirrel? sign1 sign1 sign1
Just kidding, I couldn't resist the joke... But I have to admit that you're a very talented paper modeler; that Jack Skellington isn't an easy build, and you've totally nailed it! GREAT JOB!!!
ZEALOT is special because WE (including YOU) make it so.
All the best,

Rogério

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks - Jack Skellington

Jack was fun but I have to admit an old camera, bad lighting and keeping the picture small really make the models look better than they are. I added strips inside the arms and legs for extra support. Also added some extra paper "ribs" in the base for more support. Reverse copied the hands so they would be two sided. Made slits in the arm "holes" to fit the hands in. Sharpied in the eyes, nose and mouth for more detail. He's great for Halloween in the office - he'll be there for Christmas too with a Santa hat and beard - may be paper or felt with cotton - haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Iv'e been replying to the last post for all previous posts - I guess I should be replying to each post individually - sorry - new to this.

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks - There is a lot to read and catch up on. Really like the idea of not using the tabs and using them behind both pieces to join.

Question - Those models that have the choice between lined or not lined - any tricks to doing the not lined version? Would you print both and put the lined one over the not lined one and fold it that way?

Thanks

Added a new picture to Flickr - 10 minute paper craft - gag...
Funny that the MineCraft picture has been marked several times as a favorite on Flickr and on here the squirrel has the most comments - so had to do a "papercraft" of it...just joking around. (will make a great BB gun target)

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
I won't push my luck... for now!

Thanks - There is a lot to read and catch up on. Really like the idea of not using the tabs and using them behind both pieces to join.

Question - Those models that have the choice between lined or not lined - any tricks to doing the not lined version? Would you print both and put the lined one over the not lined one and fold it that way?

Thanks

Added a new picture to Flickr - 10 minute paper craft - gag...
Funny that the MineCraft picture has been marked several times as a favorite on Flickr and on here the squirrel has the most comments - so had to do a "papercraft" of it...just joking around. (will make a great BB gun target)

DAVESTAR

I don't use tabs, but you have to sometimes do something to reinforce the connection between seams. In my case, I use double-sided tapes, and also pieces of scrap paper.
About the line/no lines models, some of them are really complicated and not so easy without the lines (specially the ones in PDO, WITHOUT instructions). I'll resume ASAP to build a version of Kratos, from the God of War game, and I admit it: I couldn't possibly build it without the lines. It's too complex a model for lil' old ME.
There are, of course, a lot more people that are better than me in this (countless people, to tell the truth :rolleyes:), and I'm sure they'll be able to share some tricks of the trade on how to build complex PDO models without lines. I know I can't yet. :curse: :p
All the best,

Rogério

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
I have yet to do one of those PDO ones with no instructions. Still practicing. Thanks for the note s Rogerio

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Eyes like dat gitar !tooth1

I too would like to learn how to make models. :)

Attachments

• Git.jpg
    Git.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8

DAVESTAR

Oct 25, 2013
Thanks - It plays good too! sign1 (But you don't want to see it up close - one of my first projects) Can't get a Les Paul because I have a Strat - can't play it that is...) So I had to make one out of paper...:cry:

Attachments

• guitar-play.jpg
    guitar-play.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 17