greetings from New Zealand

corduroy

Oct 7, 2010
christchurch
Hi guys,
Its been a while since Ive made any models but recently thought Id get back into it again. I recently also joined the papermodelers as well.

In the 1960s I used to buy little paper model kits from the UK. Some were early biplanes with the frame work made by covering string with glue and letting it hang with a weight to keep it straight. Then the dried string could be cut into lengths to make the airplane frame to attach the paper covering.

schorhr

Oct 8, 2010
Hi :)
That sounds like an interesting build method. What kind of string/glue would be used?

corduroy

Oct 7, 2010
christchurch
Hmmm - its going back a while, schorhr. The string was fine white stuff.. like a fine parcel string.. (it was a small model.) ..and the clue.. I cant remember - maybe it was the plastic cement.. but not sure now.. Guess one would have to test some and see.

corduroy

Oct 7, 2010
christchurch
well I hope it works, schorhr. If I remember one of the planes I made using this material was a small model of the wright brothers plane. It had a lot of exposed framing.

schorhr

Oct 8, 2010
I'll try. Right now I mainly build with depron, as it is nice and light while stiff enough for most constructions.