Greetings from Exit 9 in New Jersey

Hi. I'm Mike T.

We have a number of major roadways nearby (NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway), so the local joke is, "You're from New Jersey? What exit?" I live near New Brunswick, home of Rutgers University, Exit 9 off the NJ Turnpike.

I have collected ceramic holiday houses (Snow Village, Lemax, etc.) for the past 20+ years and usually set them up for the holidays. Recently, I negotiated some space for a permanent display with She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I am an experienced HO scale modeler, but I recently moved to ON30, which is more in keeping with the 1:64 - 1:48 scale of these buildings and accessories. I'm trying to get the hang of the new DCC control system.

The layout itself, currently under construction, includes several time periods from early 18th century colonists and settlers to a 19th century fishing village to the 1930's (Its a Wonderful Life) to contemporary neighborhoods (populated by Homies and similar figures). Scenery keeps the different periods separated into dioramas.

Throughout, there is a sense of whimsy and a steam punk sensibility. For example, the towns are served by the Miskatonic Valley Railroad. The Miskatonic University campus is being modeled (courtesy of Lemax's Spooky Town).

In front of the blacksmith's shop, you might find a certain green ogre holding a talking donkey waiting to be re-shod. Or you might spy a suspicious blue police call box. Perhaps a familiar figure in a red suit might be riding a motorcycle out of the local motorcycle shop.

My father served as a Navy Reserve engineer aboard Liberty and Victory ships during the WW II. After that, he sailed with Grace Line and then worked in New York harbor for 20 years. I grew up studying his naval engineering texts and listening to his tales of love of the sea. We also built some cardboard ships to his designs. Good memories, that.

Cardstock models will permit me to build some of the ships, boats and marine equipment that will complete the layout. (I found a card stock victorian submarine and a Martian fighting machine to download and I am looking for a ship to stand in for the Thunderchild.)

Nothing is more fun than having guests do a double take. Like I said, not your typical layout.

Thanks.

Mike T.

Z

Zathros

:welcome1: to the forum NJOsprey. I know where exit 9 is! I am a Connecticut resident. Post some pics of your builds, we'd love to see them. lots of stuff here. The search feature is your friend. Hope to see your work soon!