Greater Raleigh Railroad has begun

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Mountain Construction!

heres the pics of the styrofoam mountain under construction.

After this I'm going to figure out the viaducts and set up the upper loop.

then we start placing roadbed & ballast!

Heres the mountain area!

Attachments

• img0180.jpg
    img0180.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 253
  • img0180.jpg
    img0180.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 259
Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Update!

well, I haven't posted any new pics in several days, but there is an update underway:

I'm dumping all but 1 of the Piers. Because it holds them together, 1 pier will be holdimg the double-length bridge together, but the rest are being replaced with a woodland scenics incline.

I need to get the plaster cloth to cover the incline, some low-temp glue to fasten it down, and I should have that done by the end of the weekend.

Once that's done, I can stay laying roadbed, and once that is done I can get the messy stuff out of the living room :)

as it is, with the mountain and the long incline, the entire back side of the layout is not immediately visible, allowing break up of the racetrack.

Meanwhile, I've got temporary names for places on the layout:

'Bowl City' -- the city area

'Five Bridge Pass' -- the spot where all those bridges meet

'Spaghetti Junction' -- the switching area

trainoob

Jun 18, 2003
Canada
www3.telus.net
your trackplan

SS, I have been looking for a trackplan I liked for quite some time. When I saw yours, well, I liked it. I am making a layout similar to yours, but some changes. I am at the stage of glueing the inclines to the foam. What are you doing to glue them down, what type of glue? How are you holding them in place?
-Trainoob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Trainoob:
I have done a bit using a latex contact cement (Lepage pres-tite Green) 100% solvent free.
Major warning: There is no adjustment time available -- it sticks immediately. You can possibly separate the surfaces with wax paper or roll a pencil under them -- it needs to be on both surfaces to stick.
It is foam friendly -- does not eat it. I have done a small area using Homasote, foam insulation, WS inclines, WS foam roadbed and track and it seems to be sticking.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
glue

well, I've used a variety of glues:

The foam is attached to the frame by Liquid Nails, which is deposited by Caulk gun. 1 tube just barely was enough to attach the foam in a zigzag pattern.

The foam is glue to other foam for the mountain with ordinary Elmers Carpenters wood glue, though white glue will also work, those work best if you apply pressure with weights (books work great) and allow overnight to dry.

I'm going to attach the woodland scenic foam with a low temp hot glue gun.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Slight adjustment

after a talk in chat about how 'no-one would make that curve'' that entered the second turnbout, I made the industry section much straighter

Attachments

• railroad_011.jpg
    railroad_011.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 221
Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
and the second!

the second layer.

The bit of track that has some stains on it are the two units that have a terminal joiner *inside* the 'bowl' -- they had to stay so the wire could run underneath. I'll roadbed this region tomorrow afternoon, after the track cures. the bit of track will have a 'bright boy' treatment

Attachments

• rail088.jpg
    rail088.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 193

mav_uk

Sep 26, 2001
Near Amsterdam
Visit site
Stupid Question (Applogies)

Looking you your pics I have just seen the best method to get my layout sorted now the bad weather has returned to Holland (3 months of really hot weather turned to cold rain in a matter of hours) and I'm not going to be working on my outdoor hobbies...

The question I wanted to ask is.... What type of foam are you using? Do you get it from a hardware store, or is it moddeling stuff?

Thanks in advance

Stu