Great Western of Canada Livery

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Greetings all :)

I recently posted about my fictional railway that I am basing my modelling on.. the Great Western Railway of Canada, partly based on Fact with a lot of Fiction involved. :)

The thread for the history was :-

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=13318

I have now painted the first locomotive in the colour scheme I had in mind and would appreciate feedback.

This is what an unlined, industrial shunter will look like.. in this case a BLI SW7 phase 1 :-

abj.jpg

I still need to replace the window glazing and varnish the loco, but the basic elements are all in place.

Hopefully, I haven't offended any British Modellers of the GWR :) .

In this scheme, the railway name is prominent on the side of the hood in Gold, shaded red.

The horn, bell and lamps are in brass.

Cab roof, stacks, toolboxes and underframe are black and the body colour is mid-chrome green.

Handrails are either green or black depending on their location. If they are completely within a green element area then they are green, if they are completely within a black element they are black, if they bridge green and black elements, they are black.

The yellow dot on the cabside indicates route availability. (All routes on the Great Western in the UK were classified (Blue, yellow, red and double red) to allow certain axle loadings to run on them. Locos then had a colour disc on them to show if they were suitable for that road. I have carried this indication forward.)

The brass numberplates on the cabside are the loco number indicating, in my case, 3 for yard shunter, 7 for loco class (SW7) and 11 for the loco number.

Regards

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi Chris :)

interurban said:
This is coming along :thumb:

Great colour ( I always like the green).
Have you sorted out any track plans yet Graham? ;)
Yep, I have...

I have a railway room that is about 12' x 11', so what I am doing first is a portable small yard about 10'6 x 2' which will go down one of the 12' sides eventually, being associated with a station on the adjacent wall. I will try to draw up the plan for display at some point so it is fairly readable.. (currently its a back of a cigarette packet design :eek:ops: ) Basically its a stub end yard with 6 industries, a short dockside and a loco maintenance track

Doing it this way, I get to refine all my techniques and discover what problems I have in moving from N to HO and get a sense of size for the scale.

This shunting layout will also be portable, so it can be used seperately from the main layout.

The final layout I have no idea, yet, what it will look like, but I do have a few givens and druthers for it...

1) No Duck Unders
2) Single track main line with passing places capable of taking main line steam and diesel.
3) Lots of industries
4) No Duck Unders
5) Windy rivers, bridges and scenery that I like :)
6) No Duck Unders
7) Transition period 40's - 60's

Thats it so far. (P.S. Did I mention.. No Duck Unders :thumb: )

Regards

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
No Duck Under

What have you got against Duck? He's a Great Western Engine. ;)
I like the livery better with lined boiler bands. :thumb:
Would you have a use for some Athearn coaches in Great Western paint? Not that well done as it must have been 40 years ago.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
#8. No duckunders. I agree!!!!! I actually took apart my layout and rebuilt to get rid of one of those back scraping , head cracking things! :mad:

As for the locomotive paint scheme, that's a beauty! I like it!
Ralph

moria

Nov 4, 2004
Toronto
Hi David :)

60103 said:
What have you got against Duck? He's a Great Western Engine. ;)
I like the livery better with lined boiler bands. :thumb:
Would you have a use for some Athearn coaches in Great Western paint? Not that well done as it must have been 40 years ago.
Are you really a Flying Scotsman? :)

I agree, the lined livery was splendid, and am trying to think about how to translate that onto a GP9 with dynamic brakes for example for passenger work.

Eventually, I will get a passenger steam loco, and then we will go the whole fully lined livery.. and name the loco but its going to be a number of years before I get round to being able to run or do anything passenger, apart from possibly doing an RDC up as a flying banana :)

The coaches will have to wait therefore, unfortunately until there is space.

Now.. I wonder if the GWR of Canada might have brought over any steam locomotives from the GWR of Britain, for exchange trials to compare against native North American steam... that might be an interesting experiment:)

Regards