Great Northern in HO - Which is right?

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
I'm almost done buying the Walthers Great Northern passenger car set, and now need to start thinking about what I'll power it with. I already have a P2K FA A/B/B/A set (the latest ones) and love them, but now I'm looking for a F7 A/B/B/A set. I was looking at the P2K and Genesis, but noticed something... The P2K has silver trucks, and the Genesis has Black...Which one is historically right? The P2K FA set has black trucks, and the cars I have all have black, so why did P2K make silver trucks on the F7's if not correct?? I'm just confused here a bit...:confused:

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
From what I've been able to determine from photo's of GN "F" units. The ones with silver trucks and fuel tanks were used for passenger service whereas the ones with black trucks and fuel tanks were used for freight.

Dan

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
For a brief period, I think 1962-67, GN passenger diesels had their trucks painted silver...or at least many of them did. Before that, both freight and passenger trucks were black. So...it depends on your era. For a true "1955 Empire Builder" the trucks would be black.

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Thanks everyone for the responses. The GN Empire Builder I am modeling is 1960-1962, the build up of service for the Seattle Worlds Fair... So I guess I could run both silver and black trucks... Thanks again everyone!:wave:

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
BTW I believe the GN's FA units were all freight engines, I don't believe any were used for passenger service. For your period you could 'mix and match' F3's and F7's if you wanted a little diversity.