Great N-pire Railroad

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
This is the right forum, a repost in the n scale forum might also help. I model in ho and haven't looked at that book, so I can't talk about it specifically, but there are plenty of folks here at the gauge who will be chiming in shortly I'm sure.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I think that's a great book for beginers...it takes you through the process of building a small, simple layout (with the potential to expand later)

The nice thing about these books (there's an HO version as well) is that they give the beginer a primer in many facets of the hobby...benchwork, track-laying, wiring, scenery, structures, painting, weathering, detailing, etc...

I think these books are a valuable learning tool, & great to have at hand when you're trying your hand at it the first time...

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Drew1125 said:
I think that's a great book for beginers...it takes you through the process of building a small, simple layout (with the potential to expand later)

That's a big part of what I liked about this book. They build the layout in phases, and you can quit at any time and still have a functional layout. At 40"x60", the layout is packs in a lot of action, much more than any I was drawing up in RightTrack.

I think this plan will be a good start for me, and the book is great. I don't like that they suggest using foamboard for the benchwork however. I have 3 kids who I'm sure will be interested in what I'm doing, so I'll be using 1x instead, which will be much more sturdy.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
They use foam board a lot because it is light weight. If you use 1/2 inch plywood for the layout base it will be plenty strong, and you won't have to worry about kids picking at the foam and maybe even trying to eat pieces.

DaytonTrainDude

Dec 5, 2003
Dayton, OH
Visit site
In addition, they use foam board because they are showing you that you don't need to have access to or knowledge of power tools to build a layout. Definately wouldn't recomend it though.

Mike