Great Layout Base

TrophyTrans207

Dec 2, 2006
announce1 announce1 Hello fellow yardbirds,
My name is Tom I joined The Guage today ,and have been reading about base material.
I drive a truck carrying mostly trade-shows & exhibits.I have an N layout 3'x7'x6'x3' L shape .several months ago I picked up a medical exhibit in DC going to San Francisco.
In the dumster next to my loading dock were these 2 4x8x5/8 sheets of foam presentation board,they allowed me to dumpster dive for my new base material.Before my dumpter spelunking episode my layout was on a 2x4 frame and 3'x5' with luan screwed to it.
To further describe this stuff it is backed with heavy black constuction paper,the presentation side has some type of foil backed paper.This stuff is very rigid and very light,
1 sheet weighs maybe 10-12 lbs.I don't know where someone might find this stuff retail,but I think it works great.Ive read alot of good ideas and have seen some really realistic looking layout I look forward to talkin'trains.Thnx Tom

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Tom
welcome to The Gauge! haven't seen what you are talking about but it sounds like a winner...and the price was right!

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Last night i went to buy the foam base for my benchwork. Funny thing is, what I bought is exactly what you have just described. Like you said very rigid, and hald the price of the pink foam I was pricing, a tad heavier though. But it turned out nice once i had it on my benchwork i like it.