Great Lakes Ore bulk carrier "Edmund Fitzgerald" / JSC / 1:400

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent build, Jorg! I wonder how it will come out?:grin:

I notice you comment in post #29 that your build follows the sequence shown in the JSC instructions. I have found for the most part JSC have great instructions (their English translation is really quite good, I have found).

JSC hull construction is a bit different than other designers use but I also found they are pretty sturdy when finished. You don't have the benefit of a base plate that can be spot glued or tacked to a flat surface but if you follow the lines and make good, true cuts the parts fit together very well. I often use a slight weight on the hull while drying to keep the bottom edges flat, particularly when gluing on a deck, which might tend to warp the hull when drying. I'll have to try using the cardboard insert in the hull on my next build to see how it works, though it clearly works very well on this long hull.

Superb detail work on the winches and that really small towing hook on the stern section. Sometimes it's difficult to remember the scale of the 1/400 models, but that tow hook is actually very small, and you did a great job of it.

I think anyone trying to build a JSC ship would gain a bit of insight and get a good idea of how they go together, particularly the hull build, from seeing your build so far. Thank you so very much for taking the time and posting your build thread here. I can't wait to see more!

Cheers!
Jim

korvette

Oct 9, 2005
Izmir / Turkey
Thank you very much Jim. I Like those JSC models in 1:400 scale, because they are realy nice models to build and the experienced modeller can even make more out of them. The beginners will have a satisfying result even without any more work.

Ventilators

Parts: 7 / 84

Attachments

• 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 65