Grandt Line Boxcab Diesels

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I have one of the kits but haven't built it yet--if you can get the powered version you're in luck, otherwise fabricating a powering kit could be a chore. It's a nice little kit, though, with lots of detail.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Grandt Line Boxcabs...

Hey, Glen - After Malcolm Furlow's San Juan Central articles in MR, and subsequent book, I just HAD to have a pair of these guys. I picked up a powered and dummy unit...and still have them, unbuilt in their original boxes. I intend to get on them someday for a small coffee-table layout.

The nice thing that I remember about these kits is that they can be built as HOn3 or standard HO...or even HOn30, as the wheelsets are adjustable...or at least the ones in my kits are.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I understand the grandt line locomotives to be an excellant choice for maintenace also.Several comments have been made around yahoo regarding the ease of maintenance on thier entire line.A definite plus once ya'll get them built.
I couldnt stand having a locomotive kit in a box.It would drive me flippin nuts until i got it built LOL ;)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hehe, must be one of the funniest kits around!
In know two of my club members who own this kit. Both say that the kit looks terrific - but neither of them has built one. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is there a jinx on this kit? (Wish I had one of these...! :( )

Ron

PS: On the other side I know that Grandt Line stuff IS top quality. Glen: Why not buy one of them Boxcabs and be the first man on Earth to really build that kit? :D :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Anyone got a picture of this kit (assembled or not...)? CN had a few box cabs in the late 1920s, but the available MDC/Roundhouse one is not really that close...

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Glen: Why not buy one of them Boxcabs and be the first man on Earth to really build that kit?
Maybe I will. I first have to rebuild the MDC shay that I picked up.

Anyone got a picture of this kit (assembled or not...)? CN had a few box cabs in the late 1920s, but the available MDC/Roundhouse one is not really that close...

Now that I can do:
aed.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Steve, Glen,

Thanks for the pics!

Glen yours looks like the Roundhouse model, but shorter?

Steve - if that is the Grantline, then it is even "less close" than the Roundhouse. I may have to bash something if I am really intent on having one...

Andrew

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Andrew,
It is the MDC boxcab, just part of it was cut out of the picture.
Here's another picture of it:
adv.sized.jpg

I left some of the kit roof details off and added my own scratch-built spark arrestors (like CN's gp-7's and 9's)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for that additional pic Glen.

I am looking for something that looks like CN 9000 / 9001 which were a pair of "boxcabs" but they looked a bit more like oil-electrics (gas-electrics/doodlebugs) in their length at least. The MDC kit seems "stubby"....

I'll try to find some pics of the original CN units. They had them as early as 1928 - far ahead of the competition. But I guess they were so far ahead that they didn't think of them as advantageous. Lucky for us - CN ran steam for some 30+ years more... ;)

Andrew

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Is this it?
9000cn.jpg

Definitely bigger than the Grandt Line boxcab--that's the little dinky 25-tonner above. From the photo it looks like a B-B-B-B configuration?

That's definitely going to be a kitbash or scratchbuild job...you might actually use two of the Roundhouse kits back to back, but I'm not sure how it would do around curves...

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
On second thought, never mind...here's another photo:
b-w61000.jpg

You could always start out with an Athearn diesel frame/motor and stick a heavily-modified boxcab body (or maybe a heavyweight passenger car body) and hack the heck out of it...

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
It went through a number of changes over the years. Jetrock's pix show the earilest version, the armour was for WWII, and this pic shows it in Feb 1945 towards the end of the war (and 9000's service life), looking a little more "refined".

CN004322.jpg

Andrew

PS - Sorry to take over your narrow gauge thread...! :eek:ops:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for posting these pics, guys!

As I'm working on a boxcab kitbash, these will be a great reference for me! :thumb: