Grain Elevators

rockislandmike

Just got back from a cross-country road trip for a wedding. Zipped across half of Alberta, and all of Saskatchewan. Saw more grain elevators than you can shake a stick at - from older style that are still being used, to those that are in disrepair, to elevators still in construction phase with more than twenty new-style silos. Pretty kewl - next time I head that way to visit, I will make sure to take a camera.

The motels we ended up in for two of the three nights - right along the CN east-west transcontinental.

Saw a pair of GEC Alsthom locos powering a CN freight westbound this afternoon.

Passed over a classification yard in Saskatoon. And last night our motel was also situated not far from a storage yard where CN keeps all their empties in North Battleford - all sorted by type - all the gons were in a row, all the boxes, and all the hoppers, each separated out in different tracks.

Then in Alberta, we saw a dozen autoracks in each of three consecutive towns, all waiting return eastbound one would assume.

Pretty kewl stuff.

Pooh Bah
..a dozen autoracks in each of three consecutive towns...

man, you oil barons do love your cars :D

Vic

Grain Elevator

Just across the river over in Alabama there is a grain elevator but it has no rail connection....just trucks and river barges....its used for soybeans. What a waste:( :D

rockislandmike

The other thing I meant to mention is that, as we were passing one of the trains while my wife was driving (hence I got to pay more attention to the railcars), one flat car had a load of railcar wheelsets on it, piled three high. Looked pretty neat, I'll probably end up modeling it with some of my spare wheelsets.