GPM Nieuport 11

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dfarrell, Mar 15, 2007.

1. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

It's a what? A parasol? Not really, I was just following the directions. I normally install the lower wings then add struts and top wing, but the directions would have you mount the top wing first, so what the heck, I tried it their way. Since I cut the inner struts perfectly :wink: the wing fell right into place. Really! Kind of. . .O.k., there was a little bit of playing with it to get it right, but not too bad.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
  2. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Then go the outer struts and the bottom wing. Piece of cake. Except for (and this happens to me on all "V" strut bi-planes) I glued the struts on backwards! Oops. Pull 'em off and re-glue them and here is what we have. A biplane Yeah!

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      102.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      102.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Clashster

Clashster Member

Nice wings! I suffer from that "put it on backwards" syndrome too! :grin: But seriously, a very beautiful build! Great photos! Have enjoyed watching this thread. Thanks!

Chris
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Excellent! I've not done a bi-plane yet, but I imagine placing the wings must be the worst part.

Rick
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking great, Having built only one of these I know how much of an accomplishement this is. Ps, don't worry about the small ribs etc, if the part forms up well without them, the heck with em'.
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

It is coming together very nicely!
  7. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Nieuport 11

Looks very nice!
  8. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

We had some pretty nice weather here last week so I spent a lot of time repairing a couple of last summer's rubber band powered airplanes. Finally sat down to do some work on this guy last night. I now have the landing gear struts in place as well as some of the rigging done. Here is how she looks:
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

What a beauty!
  10. emohom

emohom New Member

It looks arresting! I await the ending of the model...
  11. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I seem to get easily distracted . . Instead of working on my Nieuport, I have found lots of other things to do. I started the P-6e Hawk from F.G., because that is such a pretty little airplane . . . but then I wanted to do another Berg D-I because the last one I did was a 1/50 scale model that I blew up to 1/33 and this is the 1/33 scale model and it comes with a little more detail, and there is something about that plane that just fascinates me.
    Maybe it is imagining what those poor Austrain pilots must have said when they first saw this thing. Oh, and then - and I know this is off subject, but I found this cute little plan for this mostly sheet balsa bi-plane that I had to try. It is called the Frog Pup. Wing span is about 10". I don't know how it will fly, but when it stops raining, we'll see. It was scratch built from some plans I found on the internet. But I did start coloring some of the edges on the Nieuport. It is a hard one for me because I have no markers that even come close so I have been digging in to the paint (yuch. I hate that stuff) You don't think I need help do you?
  12. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I seem to get easily distracted . . Instead of working on my Nieuport, I have found lots of other things to do. I started the P-6e Hawk from F.G., because that is such a pretty little airplane . . . but then I wanted to do another Berg D-I because the last one I did was a 1/50 scale model that I blew up to 1/33 and this is the 1/33 scale model and it comes with a little more detail, and there is something about that plane that just fascinates me.
    Maybe it is imagining what those poor Austrain pilots must have said when they first saw this thing. Oh, and then - and I know this is off subject, but I found this cute little plan for this mostly sheet balsa bi-plane that I had to try. It is called the Frog Pup. Wing span is about 10". I don't know how it will fly, but when it stops raining, we'll see. It was scratch built from some plans I found on the internet. But I did start coloring some of the edges on the Nieuport. It is a hard one for me because I have no markers that even come close so I have been digging in to the paint (yuch. I hate that stuff) You don't think I need help do you?
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

MAN! go back and finish some of those up! They all look great so far :)
    Chris
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

MAN! go back and finish some of those up! They all look great so far :)
    Chris
  15. Clashster

Clashster Member

I certainly understand! With such a short attention span, I'm surprised I finish anything at all! Something always looks cooler or more fun than what you are working on! One of the reason I have posted pictures of my build was to get the encouragement to see it through! So, we want to see this bird done!!!! :grin:

Chris
  16. Clashster

Clashster Member

I certainly understand! With such a short attention span, I'm surprised I finish anything at all! Something always looks cooler or more fun than what you are working on! One of the reason I have posted pictures of my build was to get the encouragement to see it through! So, we want to see this bird done!!!! :grin:

Chris