GPM Models

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by TankMurderer, Apr 10, 2007.

1. TankMurderer

TankMurderer New Member

Do GPM models come with English instruction???:???:

I want to know before I buy one so I don't make that mistake of buying a model that only is in Polish, Ya know what I mean???
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The GPM models I have do not have any english instructions. I do think there are clearly printed instructions that 'graphically' explain how to fix them together.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes indeed, the drawings will definitely help you more than words ever could!
    The drawings are top notch and speak every language!

You will also get all the help you need right here on this site so don't be afraid to take that first leap.

Russell
  4. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Ditto on what Carl stated... The sub I did had English instructions, but the diagrams were so good that I really didn't need them..
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Also we have totally neglected the best set of modeling instructions anyone can have...

This forum. Got a problem, found a better way? Post it here!
  6. DrBill

DrBill Member

The more recent GPM models have instructions in Polish, German and English, but those in English and German are very abbreviated. Although GPM's diagrams are usually top-notch, that's not the case with the Il-2m3 I'm currently building (3/2006). A number of small parts (especially ones made out of wire) are not shown in the diagrams or mentioned in the text. The fit and coloring are superb, as we've come to expect from GPM, but this is one case where the documentation doesn't come up to the same standard.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Not so neglected, check my last post.:wink:

Russell
  8. airbob

airbob Member

ahhh...engineering diagrams!

ahhh....the engineering diagram is indeed something that leaps all barriers....whatever the language!:yep: ......Bob out....
  9. airbob

airbob Member

and this forum!!!
  10. DrBill

DrBill Member

Further to Steve0.... I'm enough of a newbie not to know if this has already been covered, but would it make sense to have an "official" Help Wanted forum for the various model types (aircraft, ships, etc.). Threads could be along the lines of "Help wanted: GPM Il-2m3," led off with a statement of the problem and followed by suggestions for addressing it -- especially from those who have actually built the kit. Most of the model-specific threads I've seen are focused on documenting active builds. These can be a real help if you then decide to build the same model, but it doesn't provide a whole lot of help if you're working on a model that hasn't been covered. Just a thought, but it does seem like one way to leverage the forum (and its 2000 members) for assistance.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

There are threads like this out there - the appropriate location would be the pertinent forum for the type of model - same place build threads go. Its just that not many people ask for help straight out. Typically if I need help I start a build thread so people can see what I have done :) (or not done)
    Chris
  12. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Instructions I don’t need no stinking instructions!

Some do some don’t.

I do not relay on the instructions most of the instructions are along the line of glue parts 23, 23a, and 23b together to form assembly 5. Glue assembly 5 to assembly 7. The real instructions are the drawings they convey far more information then the written instructions. What does need translation is what I call the part modifier table. The table shows the icons that tell you to roll the part solid or to butt join the parts to form a tube. The icons also indicate what parts are to be laminated to heavy card stock and how thick the card stock has to be to make the part.

Besides half the fun is figuring out how the model is to be built.

Jim Nunn
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I am MAN........... what are instructions? :grin:

If I can put together a BBQ Grill and it didn't fly off into outer space when I lit it the first time, then paper models should be a snap.:grin:

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.:grin:

Oh........... I never ask for directions either, I can not get lost too many women tell me where to go.
  14. TankMurderer

TankMurderer New Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: THanks!!!!!!!!:) :)
  15. sakrison

sakrison Member

Tankmurderer,
    Don't shy away from GPM kits just because they don't have English instructions. With drawings alone, GPM offers some of the best kits around for learning and improving your paper modeling skills. The first "scale" paper model aircraft I built was a GPM Antonov An-2 Colt. The second was a Maly Modelarz Ju-87. Both were excellent and taught me a lot. I still have both on display. Neither one had a scrap of English in the instructions.

There are some publishers and some kits whose assembly diagrams leave something to be desired. Before you leap, check the kit reviews or ask here. Chances are, if it's a published kit that's been around for awhile, someone here has built it and can give you advice on what level of skill it demands, and how good the instruction drawings are.

No worries,
    --David
  16. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

John

WHAT!?! Are you trying to tell me that the grill is NOT supposed to fly off!!

Jim Nunn
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

It will if and only if you use liquid oxygen to get it alight - the guy who did this still holds the world record for lighting a barbeque - about 10 milliseconds - even got the steel of the barbeque lit up. I think the guy got a "near-Darwin" award for this act of idiocy. He worked for a NASA contractor as I recall - might explain some things.

To the topic - as Jim says - instructions are of limited help in building - good diagrams are the best guide. I've noticed that GPM seems to be improving its construction diagrams recently. You'll know when you understand how to put models together when you start to disagree with the designers' ideas on construction.

Regards,

Charlie
  18. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

David, did you ever finish your AN-2? Are there pictures posted somewhere? I have this one, and have been thinking about starting it lately.

Scott K.
  19. sakrison

sakrison Member

Yes, I did. And I later added scratchbuilt skis using drawings from a book on the An-2. The model was in the paper models exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh. It's currently here at home. I'll take some pix this weekend and post them. Remind me by Private Message if you don't see them in a few days.

It's an excellent kit and, as I said, one of the first large-scale paper models I'd ever done. I don't remember any problems with it. What I do remember is that it sold me on paper modeling in general and GPM in particular. I guess that's a pretty good indicator.

No worries,
    --David
  20. sakrison

sakrison Member

Yes, I did. And I later added scratchbuilt skis using drawings from a book on the An-2. The model was in the paper models exhibit at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh. It's currently here at home. I'll take some pix this weekend and post them. Remind me by Private Message if you don't see them in a few days.

It's an excellent kit and, as I said, one of the first large-scale paper models I'd ever done. I don't remember any problems with it. What I do remember is that it sold me on paper modeling in general and GPM in particular. I guess that's a pretty good indicator.

No worries,
    --David