GPM Mi-17

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by milhistory, Jul 27, 2006.

1. milhistory

milhistory Member

Here is my GPM Mi-17. I like the model very much, but I have a love-hate relationship with it. I found some of the fit to be perfect, but I had a hard time with many parts of the complex fuselage. The nose glass was very difficult and some of the pieces did not line up at all, creating huge gaps.

You can build this model two ways: with no interior that builds up with solid formers throughout, or a complete interior with seats in the back for little people.

Attached Files:

2. milhistory

milhistory Member

A view from the rear.

Attached Files:

3. milhistory

milhistory Member

Some of the seats in the back.

Attached Files:

4. milhistory

milhistory Member

Side view. I am working on a way to keep the cargo doors closed.

Attached Files:

5. milhistory

milhistory Member

Front.

Attached Files:

6. milhistory

milhistory Member

Another view.

Attached Files:

7. milhistory

milhistory Member

The glass. And this is the "good" side.

Attached Files:

8. milhistory

milhistory Member

and the top.

Attached Files:

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

very nice! I am amazed whenever i see windows :) Also the interior is great! The support struts for the bombs? (or are those missles - sorry dont know them that well) are super! I always have a heck of a time getting those to turn out even barely usable :(
  10. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

That is a fine job! Don't be overly worried about the mistakes: I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't pointed them out!

Just let each model teach you something, and go on.
    Keep up the good work!
    Your Canadian friend,
    Jim
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

There were mistakes? :D None that were visible to my eye.... I hope my mistakes turn out like this.... I dont think I have done anything even approaching this quality (nor most of the models I see on this site)
  12. milhistory

milhistory Member

Thanks cgutzmer, I used transparency sheets for the glass. I always have a hard time glueing those and getting them to stay. The support struts were not hard to build, but I could not find a good color to paint the sides. I don't know what hangs off them, either, but hopefully someone will chime in and clue us both in.

Fishcarver: You are right about learning from each build. A year ago I would not even try to simulate glass in my aircraft. I just left them out, allowing bugs to smash the pilot in the face. I will purchase a preformed canopy if it's a bubble-like canopy, but if I can do it myself, I will use flat transparency sheets.

Brad
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I always forget to sign these darn things, call me Chris :)

Maybe someday I will try out that canopy forming technique that I discovered on this site (after I get about a bazillion more models under my belt)
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Very fine built. The windows are great.
    Very very good work.
  15. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Well, I gave up looking for the mistakes. Awesome build!
    I still have not moved up to clear windows, love to see them on other peoples models. The "things" hanging from the hardpoints are either 57mm rocket pods or 80mm rocket pods. They appear to be the 57mm since it looks like 16 holes in the front of the pod (80mm pods have 20 and I think they are cylindrical with a flat front end).

Another great build, thanks for sharing it with us!
    Can't wait to see what you have coming up next.
  16. Texman

Texman Guest

Nice. Very nice.

Ray
  17. airbob

airbob Member

Nice build of the Mi-17!!!

Brad,
    You did a great job on this Mi-17!!!:rofl: ....I find that a difficult, challenging build )which about any "chopper" is), gives you this feeling...you are exhausted at the end...but it gives you satisfaction in reviewing the difficult spots of the build and the steps you took to resolve them...I think it is this part about paper modeling that keeps our minds pliable and exercising...hey maybe it will even prevent Alzeheimers, anyway it think it is good to continue the challenge!:rofl: Hang in there:twisted:
  18. Texman

Texman Guest

I agree, it does keep the mind flex.....what were we talking about?
  19. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Brad, I've been thinkin about how to keep the door shut and not coming up with any great solutions. I'd try going to a beading or jewelry supply store to look for small hooks or latches.
    I've found small elastic cord (.5mm and clear) sold for beading. This will stretch when the door is opened but close it when released. I use this to hold my warpable wings open. A pull cord closes them.
    Or for an idea swiped from cabnet door closure get some magnetic tape and cut off little pieces along with little pieces of steel to hold it closed with magnets. There might be small magnets ready made like this at a jewelry supply place.
    The elastic cord idea seems the simplist. If it was at the bottom of the doors it would be less noticable. They might need to be reinforced with fabric tape(linen hanging tape from an art supply place) so that the cord doesn't pull out.
    You could also combine jewelry findings with the cord to make tiny working bungie cords ;-)
  20. milhistory

milhistory Member

Lizzie:

Thank you for those suggestions. So far the doors swing freely on 2D paper "hinges." I really fancy the idea of using magnets, something I never would have thought of. I think I'll give it a go.

Brad

Edit: My history-trained mind (ie. nonscientific) just thought of something. If the magnets were strong enough, I could place them on the interior of the doors so they would not be visible but still attract the other. Maybe I am talking silly talk or it is so simple that it was assumed from the beginning.