GPM #9 JU-87 Trop

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cjwalas, Jul 4, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

I know what you're thinkin'. hamr "This guy needs to see a doctor!" I have done and will do other paper models, stukas just happen to be my main thing at the moment.
    This one is the early GPM trop version;
    [​IMG][/IMG]

This is essentially a re-color of the previous GPM kit, #8, which is the splinter green version of the B. There are two differences in the Trop. One is that the trop comes with a peel and stick, red and white, snake emblem for the side. I'm glad that it's separate as I don't really want it on this model. The other difference is more subtle and I give GPM extra credit for it; the trop version of the Stuka was fitted with a slightly larger sand filter. It's one of the only outer physical changes in the trop version and GPM was thorough enough to model it here. They could have easily gotten away with just re-coloring the filter from the previous version.
    I did a little bit of a re-color on this one, but wasn't terribly successful. GPM's desert sand color is really more of a pumpkin orange. I got it a little more yellow, but it's still not right. I also added a little airbrush weathering.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Of the dozen or so different paper stuka kits I've done so far, GPM is probably my favorite. The design for the nose is the best attempt at replicating the complex forms of the prototype. It's a little tricky, but it's worth it.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The cockpit interior has a modicum of detail; not up to the recent versions, but not too bad.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The fit of the pieces of this older kit are generally good. Not great, but good. There are a few misfits, but nothing blatant.
    Chris
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Awright! Chris is at another Stuka! Looks great! Especially an older version!

Chris
  3. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

Chris, How about a photo of the whole stuka fleet? I for one understand the tug of building one's favorite repeatedly. John
  4. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Okay, John. But how about after this one is finished? There's no more room on the Stuka shelf, so I'll have to rearrange them after this one anyway!:mrgreen:
    Chris
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Not much on this today, what with a parade, barbecue and fireworks this evening. Thought I might get a shot of the cockpit detail if anyone's interested. Unfortunately, it printed really dark and off-color (my screw-up). I think when I really learn how to do re-coloring, I'm going to have to redo this entire model again. Anyway, there's not a lot of detail in there, but there is some;
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    All I finished today was the rest of the fuselage and the tail;
    [​IMG][/IMG
    For some reason, the flash really popped the rust color in the top of the tail joint. It' s not the best fit, but not as bad as this photo makes it look. I am planning on some airbrushing over it and probably the wheel spats as well later. Also, I lost a cockpit part and when I went to find a copy in the Stuka file (what, you don't have one??), I found an old printing of the Fiddler's Green Stuka and....well...uh, I accidentally started building it. It's an addiction.
    Chris
  6. Clashster

Clashster Member

Hey Chris, maybe we can get the producers of "Intervention" to do a show on paper model Stuka addictions.... sign1

Chris
  7. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Sorry for the washed out and fuzzy photos, Yard work today and I'm exhausted! But some stuka work got done. I managed to get the wings on and the wheels and the ailerons, hinges and counterweights; [​IMG][/IMG]
    Parallel work was also done on the FG intrusion:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I like the way GPM does their wheelpants the best so far, but I really like the Answer/Fana way of attatching the wheels.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    All that's left on the underside are the bombs and releases. Then it's the props and....gulp...canopy!
    Chris
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Lookin great! What are the counterweights?
    Thanks!
    Chris
  9. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

The counterweights are on the outer ailerons only. There are two on each and they are the things that look a little like some sort of musical note with rounded ends. These were used to balance the stress on the furthest aileron with the longest cables to make them easier to work for the pilot.
    I do like these early GPM JU-87Bs and I'll be curious to see how the 1/24 version stacks up next to them!
    Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ok! cool, thanks - I had no idea what those things were :) I kinda thought you forgot to attach them ;)
    Chris
  11. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Bombs on the FG Stuka...done.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Bombs on the GPM Stuka...done.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Nose cone done, she's starting to look very Stuka-like!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Headed into the final stretch on both of these!
    Chris
  12. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

FINISHED!! Chalk up another one for the Stuka loon! sign1 This one looks a lot better finished and outdoors in some decent light.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The color's still not right, but it's better than the original kit color.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I made my usual mistakes, but not quite as many and most of them are just a little less obvious...I hope!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This is (IMHO) another good looking kit, well balanced and it's got a nice feel to it. I'm really curious about the Fly version which looks like a straight copy re-colored. Also can't wait to see the difference between this and the latest GPM version of the 87B.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I have to admit that I raced through a few assemblies and could have definitely done a better job overall. Oh, well, that's what next time is all about!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Still, this one should look good in the company of the rest!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I realize I didn't get many front shots on this! Sorry about that.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Haven't finished the FG one yet. The canopy is turning out to be real nightmare on that one...maybe tomorrow!:rolleyes:
    Chris
  13. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

can't see it, it blends into the rocks...:)
    Great work, keep em comming. My son wants me to make one rc and you keep giving me the inspiration. . .
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

super work! I think you did a grat job! cant wait to see the other one done and next to it!
    Chris
  15. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Chris

I don't care whether the colour is right or not . . . it looks great the way you have interpreted it.
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That looks fantastic!
    Them colors look great in the sun, she's beautiful!
    I also believe your builds are definitely getting progressively cleaner!

Russell
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

You really did a great job on this GPM kit.

I am sorry, but I didn't give it credit, until I checked your thread here and pictures.

Thank you!
  18. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks good - can't wait to see them all spread out on your airfield ;)
  19. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    I did manage to finish the FG canopy.:curse: It's a little frustrating and my skills aren't quite there yet.
    [​IMG]
    I've got all the stukas down off the shelf and have taken a couple of shots of them. I'll post in a separate thread!
    Chris
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

What is the scale on the FG Stuka?

And

Which of all your Stukas do you most recommend?