Gotta Share This Movie

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
COOL! I love it. Just as the name on the tender started to come into view though, the video ended. Where is that at?

MilesWestern

Now THAT's TIMELESS and BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks SO much for sharing that with us, and I realised that's the prototype for IHC's good running 2-8-0! (which I own one of !)

RailRon

Thanks for that great link! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The initial slipping of the wheels shows that the Western Maryland Consolidation is nearly at her limit for that grade and train weight. But the engineer obviously is a real throttle artist. He always gets her to regain her footing on the slippery track.
Then the grade must have decreased somewhat, and now the old girl really begins to accelerate away. Together with the beautiful steam/smoke cloud and the fabulous sound this is one of the greatest video clips I ever saw on the web!

Ron

Great movie. I have had the good fortune to witness that same scene a couple of times myself; but your pix brought back great memories. Incidentally, to answer Train Nut, the location is Helmstetter's Curve (hope I got that right), but I don't know the exact location closer than that.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Dave Flinn said:
Great movie. I have had the good fortune to witness that same scene a couple of times myself; but your pix brought back great memories. Incidentally, to answer Train Nut, the location is Helmstetter's Curve (hope I got that right), but I don't know the exact location closer than that.
Dave,iIn your signature... Ferroequinologist... my father uses that word and he thinks he's just so clever for coming up with it. I'll have to tell him he's got a fellow friend with words. Coool word.:thumb: Thanks for the location info by the way. I'll have to punch that up on my search engine and see what it spits back at me.

coolhandmatt

TrainNut said:
COOL! I love it. Just as the name on the tender started to come into view though, the video ended. Where is that at?

Yeah I couldn't make it any bigger or the video would be to big.

ocation is Helmstetter's Curve

Exactally

I think the whole railroad is on a average of 2% grade. Did you see how man heavy weight cars was on it? That poor engine can barely handle it!

Here is an old video, not quite as good, but it's something to watch:

http://www.gottrains.com/movies/765throughEB.AVI

I have been using the term Ferroequinologist since I was in my teens, and that was 50 or more years ago. I have also seen it occasionally used elsewhere. If your father is on line, I'd love to meet up with him someday and "exchange Ferroequinology."