Gotta love Athearn Genesis cars!

RioGrande

First - the HO model:
G4361.gif

The following prototype pictures from Carrtracks.com gallery.

Genesis PC&F Box Car 8' + 6' Door box car, here it is right ahead of that nice D&RGW caboose:
cabrg1.jpg

BTW, I have a brass caboose painted just like that one, and a Walthers red Santa Fe auto rack, just like the one ahead of that Southern Pacific PC&F box car. This is what I enjoy most about model railroading is finding models matching real cars in pictures and being able to duplicate those consists, at least in part!

This is the kind of thing I love to do is collect models so I can make train just like ones in photos!

Notice in this next photo more PC&F box cars!
136cliff.jpg

Three of the box cars behind the engines are the PC&F double door box cars, and one is the PC&F 14' door box car. This is the reason I need these puppies!

Still more PC&F box cars on an SP train:
spmohawk.jpg

And now for the newest Athearn Genesis offering - the North American 50' box car (two examples from Athearn's website):
10654.gif

10656.gif

Hey, RioGrande, these NAC cars are nice!! :p

I LOVE the Genesis cars. Jointly with the Intermountain "Pinnacle" ones, I think that they are the best "modern" plastic H0 cars actually.

What a pity that sometimes they are so elusive, specially the D&RGW ones. I gone nuts triying to grab the two previous (G4343 & G4344). I ordered well in advance in two different hobby shops, and both stores only were able to get the G4344! :( :curse:

So thanks for posting this. :thumb: I would have passed them unaware if not for you, but after reading your post I hurried and ordered them. Maybe this time I'll be luckier... :D

dean

Jim,

You probably already know this but..........like beer they come in 12-packs:

From the Athearn Web site:

G4378 50' PC&F 8' & 6' Door SP Early (12-pack) August 2004 Retail $359.76
G4379 50' PC&F 8' & 6' Door SSW Early (12-pack) August 2004 Retail $359.76

So you can fill out a nice train with this offering.......sorry Jim couldn't help myself in tempting you. :wave: :thumb: ;)

RioGrande

Believe me Dean, I've already been tempted! While I can't see myself clear to two dozen of these cars, I am planning on a half dozen of the SP PC&F 8'+6' door 50 box cars you mentioned. I'd imagine that Athearn had a total sellout of the first batch of two numbers of SP & SSW cars, which I got all 4 of.

If you feel sorry for me needing them, what about full fledged SP fans? Ouch for their wallets! And now Intermountain has taken a direct aim at them too with the new FMC double door box cars.

Oh, and speaking of beer ...

PC&F and beer go together like hand in glove. Now if only P-B-L's Eel River would run some more 60' PC&F box cars as RTR, there would be a way to get the beer to market from Golden Colorado - Coors, Rocky Mountain p*** water! I actually have 7 of those kits myself, but unfortunately, there were allot of variations between them, what with side sills (indented vs full-length, doors (10, 12 & 14') and roofs (peaked vs flat). Rio Grande hauled a fair number of these too. My Rio Grande kit will require the roof flattened and the side sills filled in to make it correct. I've noticed a number of other kits from Eel River to have the wrong combinations of details when compaired to photos.

dean

Jim, at the price for a 12-pack, it is rather steep of a price for these cars. $29.98 Retail Price, maybe discounted to $24-25 still puts them at a bit of an expense. But still they are nice cars........

jasonboche

My 12 pack of Athearn Genesis BNSF maroon Trinity hoppers came last week.

It's a good thing they came boxed nicely in packaging because I was drooling all over them when I saw them.

I still haven't unboxed them yet. I want to finish ballasting my layout first and then clean my track and then I'll put together a nice consist of my new BNSF SD60M's, maybe a Dash 9 C44-9W or two, followed by these 12 BNSF lovlies :D :D

BTW $250 buy it now on Ebay. Price is no object for me on these cars.